Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Routes into Psychology???

Options
  • 12-06-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey guys, I intended to go to UL and do Psychology but it now looks like I won't have th points to be to do that, so I have decided to do Psychology and Sociology which is a few points less, but I was wondering will Psychology and Soiology get me a job as a psychologist?
    Also, what are some other courses for becoming a psychologist?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

A degree in psychology will only facilitate you in getting post-grad study/training. In order to work as a psychologist you will need to do a significant amount of post-grad work. Basically psychology is a large area; a degree only give you an over-view of the areas psychology covers, then a person studies/trains in one of those areas, e.g. clinical/counselling/sports/education etc.

At this stage in the game do you know which area of psychology you would like to train/work in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DubzSon

Odysseus wrote: »
    At this stage in the game do you know which area of psychology you would like to train/work in?

Yes, I would love to do clinical psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

hey as far as I am aware some of Universities do conversion courses for students who did arts with psychology as one of their subjects. I know UCC used to and I'm sure NUIG and Maynooth do them too. If you do a three year degree, you then apply to do the conversion course which takes another year and you would then have a psychology degree. I'm pretty sure there is generally a bit of competition to get into the conversion course so you'd have to do quite well in yout initial degree in order to be eligible. Your best bet is to get in contact directly with the college you were planning on going to and find out if they have an option like this available.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭psycjay

marxcoo wrote: »
    hey as far as I am aware some of Universities do conversion courses for students who did arts with psychology as one of their subjects. I know UCC used to and I'm sure NUIG and Maynooth do them too. If you do a three year degree, you then apply to do the conversion course which takes another year and you would then have a psychology degree. I'm pretty sure there is generally a bit of competition to get into the conversion course so you'd have to do quite well in yout initial degree in order to be eligible. Your best bet is to get in contact directly with the college you were planning on going to and find out if they have an option like this available.

You can do psychology through arts and as long as your grades are good enough you can get into second and third year and qualify with exactly the same degree as those who got the points for psychology direct. No need for a conversion course at all, thats in NUIM and NUIG anyway, dunno about the other colleges. Make sure you check that the degree path you are choosing is accredited by the Psychological society of Ireland too. And as Odysseus already said, a degree on it's own does not mean you are a qualified psychologist, you have to go further post-grad study. All the info is in the PSI website, and here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

DubzSon wrote: »
    Yes, I would love to do clinical psychology.

Well the other posters have given you a good start with their advice, I'm a psychoanalyst not a psychologist, but I have a good understanding of the training for clinical psych.

You do know that in order to become a clinical psych you are now really talking about doing a Doctorate in Clinical Psych, not an easy course to get into and from what posters here who have applied for it say, you are looking at having a Masters as well as your degree and some clinical experience in order to get a place, in most cases.

However, please do not let that put you off, yes it will be a long road, but I love the clinical side of my work, and most of the time I would not change my job for the world; so if you have an interest in it go for it.

Also welcome to the forum, don't be afaird to use us here with any questions you have along your journey. It's a long road, but as Chairman said a march of a thousand miles begins with the first step, so contact you college and ask them where you would stand in relation to post-grad training once you complete your course.

Finally remember to enjoy your journey [college] don't get to focused on your destination at this point. Doing your degree will open up a wide range of areas for you, and you may decide on a different area by the time you finish you degree. However, it will do you no harm to have a goal in mind. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Bit of advice with regards Sociology, OP, is that you should avoid it like the plague if you're looking to become a clin psych. I did Psychology and Sociology in Trinity and found that Sociology just dragged me down because I hated it so much. I understand that different strokes for different folks and all that, but Sociology is considerably different from Psychology, and I personally believe it's an absolute sham of a subject with very little to offer. However, if you know anything about Sociology and it interests you, then go for it, but it most likely won't benefit your prospects of doing clin psych.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Bit of advice with regards Sociology, OP, is that you should avoid it like the plague if you're looking to become a clin psych. I did Psychology and Sociology in Trinity and found that Sociology just dragged me down because I hated it so much. I understand that different strokes for different folks and all that, but Sociology is considerably different from Psychology, and I personally believe it's an absolute sham of a subject with very little to offer. However, if you know anything about Sociology and it interests you, then go for it, but it most likely won't benefit your prospects of doing clin psych.

I'm currently studying both subjects through Arts and I'd agree with you to a certain extent. I'd thought that they'd go reasonably well together, but I've since realised that I was wrong. However, since I've stopped thinking of them as being similar, it gives some scope for engaging in critical thinking, whichever subject interests you most. Methods for research, perspectives etc.

OP, I've been considering the D.PsychClin as well down the line, but if there's one thing I'd say is pursue what you're interested in, but don't be afraid to change your mind or change direction if your interests change. Psychology is a massive area, and whichever way you go with it it's a lot of years of studying. What you think you might be interested in now is likely to change many times when you get into all the different areas and find out more about careers etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Constant

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

DBS now have a two year part time dip in psychology which might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

UCD, Trinity, UCC, and NUIG all do psych hdips too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement