Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you likely to get into DCU with a FETAC?

Options
  • 12-06-2011 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I REALLY want to do Communcation Studies but I'm concerned that I wont get the points. (Anyone else think 445 is a little high considering all the flack this course gets for supposedly doing 'nothing'? :P ) And I was just wondering if you do a FETAC and meet the merit/distinction requirements, are you likely to get in? Or does it depend on the course you apply for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭InkNut

WatchOut wrote: »
    I REALLY want to do Communcation Studies but I'm concerned that I wont get the points. (Anyone else think 445 is a little high considering all the flack this course gets for supposedly doing 'nothing'? :P ) And I was just wondering if you do a FETAC and meet the merit/distinction requirements, are you likely to get in? Or does it depend on the course you apply for?

Aloha:) I got into communications from a Fetac level 5 certificate myself. I think there is usually a certain amount of places in the course reserved for people coming from Fetac, maybe around 5? You could ring the college or school of communications and find out exactly how many places they keep for Fetac.

You'll have to get 5 distinctions in your fetac cert and they'll have to be in specific modules. It can be easy enough to get the 5 distinctions if you put in the work to be honest. So, yeah I would say theres a very good chance of getting into the course if you have the necessary requirements from your fetac course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭WatchOut

Yay :D That's uplifting to here. Yeah I think I'll give them a ring after I'm done with my exams. I checked and I think all the necessary modules are there in the FETAC that I'll be doing if I don't get the points. Is it tough to get the distinction?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭InkNut

Well in Fetac a distinction is 80% and even though that might sound like a lot it's not that hard as you're constantly getting feedback and grades after each assignment so you can actually see your grade rise slowly towards 80, so if your on around 40 or 50 you'll know yourself that you will have to get whatever else in the next assignment to make your grade jump to 80. Although saying that, you will have to put the work into your assignments to get distinctions. People in my Fetac class who didn't really care that much generally didn't get the 5 distinctions, but a lot of them probably weren't looking to move on to university. It's definitely quite doable though if you put in the work. Good luck with it, it's a good degree if you don't mind people constantly assuming you do nothing:D

Advertisement