Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Hurleys Tomorrow!

Options
  • 12-06-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hey! Just Saw Lidl have some hurleys tomorrow monday the 13th:) anybody know what these are like? quality etc...:D
    thanks
    david.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Elizabeth_Hurley_0.jpg

Whoops, misread! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

Fnz wrote: »
    Elizabeth_Hurley_0.jpg

Whoops, misread! :o

Yeah you're right...she's a bit wooden and ashen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

haha

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I asssume Liz is of high quality, nice rounded finish at the tips and fairly sturdy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hey! Just Saw Lidl have some hurleys tomorrow monday the 13th:) anybody know what these are like? quality etc...:D
    thanks
    david.

They're grand, I found them to be of more uniform quality than a lot of the ones in the sport stores. As usual you have to got through them to find one with a nice grain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Pyridine wrote: »
    Yeah you're right...she's a bit wooden and ashen!

Burn! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Just bought the wee man a 26" Corbett hurl from an O'Neills GAA store in Glenravel Co Antrim last Saturday. £16. Tomorrow in Lidl €9.99 :mad:

should bring it back and get your money back!! are these lidl ones good though?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

pudzey101 wrote: »
    should bring it back and get your money back!! are these lidl ones good though?
    Not great, tend to break easily enough.

ya theyd be ok to train with and that yeah? not for matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sorry, only the Star Hurley, Kilkenny for me :)
    Lidl for cheap Weissbeer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Interesting recent article on the subject of hurley ash:

http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/docs/technical_info/articles/HurleyAsh_TodaysFarmMayJun2011.pdf

"A senior plank retails at between €7.50 and €9."

"Hurley ash is the most expensive timber in the world. It can fetch €400 to €500 per cubic metre, and that’s when still in the field. By the time the butt is delivered to Jim it can easily cost double that."

And I thought my friend was yanking my chain when he said a hurley maker from limerick gave him 3 grand for 9 big ash trees he needed cutting sounds like he was robbed.

I also found this quote interesting:

"Jim has planked ash butts from all over Europe and believes that Irish ash is best.‘‘It grows quicker here so there is a bigger grain.The hurley makers love this because it’s easier to work.’’

... and it keeps people coming back for more when that wide grain flies apart.

Must be the only application in the world where Irish timber is 'best'

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Picked up a couple today. They will do the job the very best. Great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

got 2 today, only gonna use them for the odd puck around so as long as they don't break apart i'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

If you have a feel through them you can pick up one that's decent for a puck around the park. Wouldn't play a match with one though.

Advertisement