Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtime & bad management (Feeling trapped) - Help please

Options
  • 12-06-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

<removed>

Thanks every one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Maybe a visit to a doc, for a few days off?
    Get an official record of how this has affected your health?
    That's all I can think of.

xx
    I hope it gets better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Recently I had to stay in work until 1:30am and when I asked if it would be ok to come into work a little later than usual the next day I was told in no uncertain terms that I was to be at my desk at 9am as "thats the way it is".

First off, don't go in all guns blazing, but a gentle word with HR to remind them of the Working Time Act may not go astray. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0020/sec0011.html#sec11
    An employee shall be entitled to a rest period of not less than 11 consecutive hours in each period of 24 hours during which he or she works for his or her employer.

Explain to HR that you're being as flexible as you can, but that if you need to stay that late in future, you need it clarified with your boss that people who work that late need to be shown some flexibility in turn. If you're not being paid for the overtime, ask them what time in lieu they can offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nix84

Is there any chance your working in the same place as me?! Go to the doctor, spill your guts out and take a week off due to work related stress. There's so many people off with it at the min and it's being taken very seriously. They'll have to call you in for a chat and then you can tell them that it's just not acceptable and it's affecting your health. They have to try and change your situation and if you have certs there's not a thing they can do. I'm just back after a week off for nearly exactly what you describe, had the chat today and from now on more notice has to be given when looking for overtime and it can't just be presumed I'll do it. It's rediculous, just because people are crying out for jobs doesn't give employers the right to treat the employees thay have like crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brokebroad

Amen to that,

I am currently on sick leave because of stress related to the way I was treated at work. It is high time this issue was taken seriously.

In fairness it's a tough economic climate but we are human at the end of the day and can only do/take so much.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

<removed>

Thanks every one

No point in keeping this open now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement