Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble Creating Extender

Options
  • 12-06-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Trying to connect my xbox to my windows 7 home pc.

Tried using Windows Media Center but when I try to create an extender it says it is unable to find extender and it may be due to McAfee Firewall. I tried turning off the firewall and creating the extender again - with no joy.

I tried pinging the ip address of the xbox from my machine - but i get no response. Should it reply to pings? All machines are on the same subnet and I can connect to Xbox live from the xbox.

Getting a little frustrated!

Thanks for any help guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭AndywK

Do you have ports open for it?

How are you connected? Is your xbox wired to your router and your router wired to your PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Xbox is hardwired and PC is wireless.

What ports do I need open? I added 3390, 3776, 5555, 7777, 2177.

POssible to try your PC hardwired? Wireless seems to screw things up alot

Afraid not - pc is too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

AndywK wrote: »
    POssible to try your PC hardwired? Wireless seems to screw things up alot

This is true. I recently ran a cat5 cable from my laptop upstairs down to my router in the living room. It is just beside the xbox, so no wiring needed. Being honest with you, even if you get the extender set up, streaming it wirelessly to your xbox will not be good.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help sofar. Can you tell me if your xbox responds to pings?

Thanks!

I have never heard of needing to ping your Xbox for Media Center.

You would be better of clearing the extender from both ends and restarting.
    Go to system settings then memory on your xbox and then in one of the folders you will see media center. Delete it.
    After that, open up media center on your PC and then kill the connection it sees with the xbox.

Then restart, may work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

You shouldn't need WMC, You should be able to add the 360 to your network on the pc.

Answer 2 here might explain better than i could:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/how-to-share-files-to-xbox-360-without-windows/14b61030-30e1-4418-b10c-c6a176a6fd62

I can stream to my 360 wirelessly from my laptop, as they're on the same network, simple enough set up. I've never used WMC, I tried it once and it's horifically slow.

Advertisement