Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The World At War: The Ultimate Restored Edition (11 Disc DVD) - €20 delivered [Zavvi]

Options
  • 11-06-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭

First time I've seen the remastered edition available for this cheap.. an absolute steal at this price!

Buy it.. buy it NOW!

10166563-1288702631-476000.jpg
    Buy it @ Zavvi
    Description
    The World at War: The Ultimate Restored Edition is the definitive version of one of the greatest documentary series ever made. Each frame has been painstakingly restored and the audio enhanced and upgraded so that this is the best this award-winning series has ever looked and sounded.

Narrated by Laurence Olivier and first broadcast in 1973 when memories of the Second World War were still clear in people's minds and the war's veterans numerous, over 26 episodes this unique series assembled these recollections, together with archive footage, to create one of the most powerful and successful historical documentaries ever seen. The voices of those that fought, worked or watched during the war gave each episode a vivid sense of what it was like to be there and was the hallmark of the series.

Brand new to this DVD boxset for the first time ever:
    • Hard of hearing subtitles
    • New widescreen presentation
    • 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound audio
    • Limited edition packaging
    Over 10 hours of special features includes:
    • Brand new - Restoring the World at War - narrated by Sir Jeremy Isaacs, this feature explores every element of the restoration process
    • 11 features including the making of the original series
    • Photo galleries
    • Biographies
    • Speeches and songs
    • Newsreels and maps

War.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Be aware that it has been cropped from 4:3 to 16:9 so the top and bottom of the frame has been cut off. I would go for the unrestored version personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

€22.45 for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Be aware that it has been cropped from 4:3 to 16:9 so the top and bottom of the frame has been cut off. I would go for the unrestored version personally.

Before I cancel the order ,if I zoom a cropped a restored version am I not in a postion to choose the original 4:3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

T-Maxx wrote: »
    €22.45 for me?
    Always pay in sterling where offered.

It'll be closer to €20 when it appears on your card.

Yeah I was put off buying it before due to all the negative reviews on Amazon. Pity about the cropping. Another thing is I don't think it'd make it to me in time for Father's Day. Stuff from the UK (or the US bizarrely) takes about a week to get to me. I'd probably get it Monday week unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Before I cancel the order ,if I zoom a cropped a restored version am I not in a postion to choose the original 4:3 ?
    No.

It seems this cropping was done with some care though, so it hopefully shouldn't look too bad.

I notice a lot of the bad reviews on amazon are from people who didnt buy the set and are moaning about all sorts of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I ordered this day last week and just got an email last night saying that it hasnt been sent yet. anyone else ?

Me too ,I forgot I ordered the thing. Might cancel it now

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

same here. this happened me before when ordering the old version of this set!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Anyone know if this has subtitles for the aul lad?

Edit: Just noticed on the Zavvi link, it says this version has subtitles for hard of hearing.

Sound so, gonna order. Cheers Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Another 10% off with DVD10 code

Advertisement