Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Locked myself out of my car today!

Options
  • 11-06-2011 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all, A wee bit embarrassing really but as the title says I locked myself out of my Carina E today. Just a momentary lapse of concentration really but was kicking myself after....suppose it could happen to the best of us though.

Went to Garda station across from Shopping centre I was in thinking they might have a master key or some such way of helping but no joy. They didn't even have a hammer to allow me put the window through. To be fair to the Guard on the desk he was most corteous and did his best for me all the same. He gave me the number of two lock smiths and said if I did decide to knock a window in with a hammer he'd arrange to send a Guard across with me in case somebody saw me doing so on my own and assume something dodgy was going on. Rang the lock smiths one quoted me about €100, the other €120, plus about an hour wait on each so I said scratch that thought.

Went into Shopping Centre, no hammers for sale there or none to be borrowed either. So said I'd chance a filling station next door. They didn't have a hammer but they had an iron bar that did the trick nicely. I ended up breaking the small little window in the back door.

So that was a good deal of my day. Saw in the mirror when I got home that I got bloody sun-burned into the bargain!

I thought I had windscreen cover (I know it sometimes does not cover side windows) and after looking at my policy I see I don't actully have cover (was getting mixed up with breakdown assist as I knew I'd one and not the other)

Howsever, could anybody give me a ballpark figure of what I would expect to pay for the small pane I broke from a breakers and if it would be easy enough for me (a reasonable diy'er) to put it in? Also does anybody in the know, know would the same glass pane from an early Avensis do the trick as they look pretty similar to me? If its gonna cost me silly money for my 14 year old runaround I might try to cut a piece from that sheet of perspex I have sitting around the shed and see if I can do anything with it....Would this be an issue come next NCT?

Many thanks in advance for replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Easy way to get into a car is use the plastic that comes with peat briquettes. Work it in the window. Then work it to the handle and it opens. It's thin enough to fit narrow gaps and hard enough to work through things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭john.west

Thanks for your reply ted1 but I know there is absolutely no way in the world that would have worked for me. Would have needed to flick the snib for the door lock inside to open door and there is no way I could have done that with the string of a peat briquette bale. I'd also find it very difficult to see how one would work the cord up around inside a fully closed window.

Bending the door frame is always worth a try. THem swallow windows can be a ballache to do, easier to replace a full sized window in many cases, strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I think Ted is referring to a door with a button up inside the window. Not like in your case where the button is located with the inner handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I could be wrong but I doubt smashing your own windows is covered under windscreen cover anyway.
    You should've haggled with the locksmith and saved yourself a day of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

You could have called the breakdown assistance guys to come open the door for you. I used the AA cover on my insurance before to open my door when I locked the keys in, they stuck an inflatable bag in the door and blew it to open a crack in the door so he could get a wire in and open the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I think the small quater panel window is one of the more expensive bits of glass on a car, and one that glass companies stock the least.

When we get a call from a driver who has managed to lock their keys in their boot, the first phone call we make is to the local glass company to see what glass they have in stock. It's usually much cheaper and quicker to put in one of the rear side windows.

Not much help to the OP now, but will hopefully help someone in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Such an awful situation OP, I did it myself in my old Starlet once or twice but I was lucky enough to have a spare in the house and was able to get someone to bring it to me. Thankfully my new car has central locking so it cuts that out!

Some good advice on here though, I never knew the smaller window panes were more expensive and harder to replace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I don't know how you could lock yourself out of your car you did however lock your keys in your car ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Mindme

Ater I spent ages trying to open the locked car door.
    Two young guards tried for an hour to open our car without success. Along came a delivery man. He gently levered the top of the door open a fraction with a screw driver, inserted a thin wooden wedge. Made a loop in a wire coat hanger and hooked it on to the lock catch.

Eureka!

It took him less than five minutes in all. :-)

Now we all know the procedure.

• Advertisement

I don't know how you could lock yourself out of your car you did however lock your keys in your car ;)

Get your coat...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Mindme wrote: »
    Ater I spent ages trying to open the locked car door.
    Two young guards tried for an hour to open our car without success. Along came a delivery man. He gently levered the top of the door open a fraction with a screw driver, inserted a thin wooden wedge. Made a loop in a wire coat hanger and hooked it on to the lock catch.

Eureka!

It took him less than five minutes in all. :-)

Now we all know the procedure.
    I did that many years ago when keys were locked in a hilux using a coat hanger. Yes the coat hanger trick is as old as time itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

R.O.R wrote: »
    I think the small quater panel window is one of the more expensive bits of glass on a car, and one that glass companies stock the least.

When we get a call from a driver who has managed to lock their keys in their boot, the first phone call we make is to the local glass company to see what glass they have in stock. It's usually much cheaper and quicker to put in one of the rear side windows.

Not much help to the OP now, but will hopefully help someone in the future.
    ^
    |
    |
    This.

A buddy of mine locked himself out of his van a few years ago, so he called his usual windscreen fitter and asked what was the cheapest glass for that particular van that he had in stock. The windscreen guy gave him the information, and was replied with the sound of a rock going through the window and a request to be in the yard as early as possible the next day.
    He was still laughing when he arrived the next morning. :D

RoverJames wrote: »
    Bending the door frame is always worth a try. THem swallow windows can be a ballache to do, easier to replace a full sized window in many cases, strangely enough.

I see from browsing youtube that bending the window frame is a trick used alright RoverJames, hindsight is something I don't have the luxury of all the same now though but ta all the same! I think looking back I could have possibly got the small window out with a 3 or 4 screwdrivers and an extra pair of hands. However, will ring a few breakers yards tomorrow and see if they can sort me out with the pane for a reasonable price. If not I'll try to whack a sheet of perspex in.
    fluffer wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I doubt smashing your own windows is covered under windscreen cover anyway.
    You should've haggled with the locksmith and saved yourself a day of hassle.

Oh, a stone would have hit it as far as they are concerned fluffer. Believe me, the cost of replacing the window would be a tiny drop in the ocean compared to what I've paid out to insurance companies in 11 years of faultless driving!

I don't think haggling would have done much for me to be honest. Despite all the hype anytime I haggled for soemthing like that I might have done well to get a tenner off but most likely they would hang up the phone!

nin2010 wrote: »
    You could have called the breakdown assistance guys to come open the door for you. I used the AA cover on my insurance before to open my door when I locked the keys in, they stuck an inflatable bag in the door and blew it to open a crack in the door so he could get a wire in and open the lock.

I realise that now too nin2010 and kicking myself over that too. Although I have cover I had my insurance details in my glovebox and no breakdown assist number stored in my phone either. Clever I know but there you go.
    R.O.R wrote: »

Either way I won't be spending mad money on it R.O.R. As I said hoping to get a pane for a reasonable price from a breakers yard and if they are asking silly money a sheet of perspex is going in there. I'll let you know how I get on!

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Such an awful situation OP, I did it myself in my old Starlet once or twice but I was lucky enough to have a spare in the house and was able to get someone to bring it to me. Thankfully my new car has central locking so it cuts that out!

Some good advice on here though, I never knew the smaller window panes were more expensive and harder to replace!

A bit of a kick in the teeth alright NUTZZ, no doubt about that. Bit of a silly thing that can happen in a momentary lapse of concentration like putting petrol into a diesel for example. I didn't have a second key though and my house was 40 mile away anyway with no other car there! Ah well you learn by your mistakes too, will get a key cut during the week. Ta for comment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Perspex is a NCT fail.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Perspex is a NCT fail.

Are you absolutely sure about that aujopimur. Not saying your incorrect per se but I would have thought that certain sports cars come with perspex type side windows to keep weight down. Not for one minute suggesting that a 14 year old Carina E is a sports car but would have thought the same allowance follows through?

john.west wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure about that aujopimur. Not saying your incorrect per se but I would have thought that certain sports cars come with perspex type side windows to keep weight down. Not for one minute suggesting that a 14 year old Carina E is a sports car but would have thought the same allowance follows through?

This is taken from the NCT manual (page 23);
    5. Where windscreens, side or rear windows are fitted with glazing material other than safety glass the vehicle owner shall provide a certificate from the manufacturer or installer stating that the glazing material is not likely, if fractured, to produce fragments capable of causing severe cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Heh, we did the same thing many years ago (1993), when down at the beach, we managed to lock the keys into the Carina E. While the little nubs that control the central locking aren't any good, we were able to reach the boot release lever with a coat hanger, and crawled in that way (hatchback obviously :)).

• Advertisement

Just to provide ye with an update I located the piece of perespex in the shed and cut it out to fit into the rubber as best I could. A couple of hours and enough cursing later I got it fitted. Fitting it wasn't the easiest DIY job I ever done by any means but am well chuffed with the results.

Fitting it involved letting down the back window, loosening a small bolt at the bottom of the runner (behind the door card), which the window slides up and down and a screw at the top which goes through the outter window frame. This allows you the space to get the small pane in situ. Getting all the rubbers to go where there suppose to is the tricky part and was hit and miss really. In the end though it looks practically perfect. A small little crack ran into it a bit as I manevoured the hacksaw around it but absolutely nothing worth talking about....the rubber practically hides it all.

Thanks for pointing out the relevant extract from the NCT manual NUTZZ. My NCT isin't till August next year but gonna let it through as as it is. I think only the most eagle eyed tester would spot it to be fair. If it fails for it when the time comes I'll cross that bridge then.

I'm not really a computer type person but I will try to get up on the thread a snap of my handy work up tomorrow as it was too dark by time I'd finished this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I was VB would be very proud of you...:D:D

Well done on the diy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

Thanks for pointing out the relevant extract from the NCT manual NUTZZ. My NCT isin't till August next year but gonna let it through as as it is. I think only the most eagle eyed tester would spot it to be fair. If it fails for it when the time comes I'll cross that bridge then.

Unfortunately most perspex reacts to UV sunlight over time and fades unless it's UV resistant. Hopefully yours is resistant as if not it'll probably be well faded by next August.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Here goes a snap of my newly installed perspex window. My camera phone ain't up to much so quality is not A1 but hoping it'll give ye a rough idea.

Buffman wrote: »
    Unfortunately most perspex reacts to UV sunlight over time and fades unless it's UV resistant. Hopefully yours is resistant as if not it'll probably be well faded by next August.

Christ somebody always bursts my bubble;)

If that happens theres plenty more perspex out in the shed to take a secons pop at it when the time comes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

If that happens theres plenty more perspex out in the shed to take a secons pop at it when the time comes!

It looks perfect you would not notice the difference..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ha, ye sorry but said I'd give ya the head's up.:D

If it does happen you can pick up the long life perspex handy enough, it's a bit dearer than the ordinary stuff though.

Looks ok anyway, and you've got easy access if you get locked out again.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

In a side impact, that piece of perspex could easily end up stuck in someone's face or neck. You know the way the glass broke into loads of small cubical pieces when you broke it?

Take a piece of that perspex and smash it with a hammer (wear safety glasses/goggles) and you'll see just what's likely to stick your passenger in the side of their head or neck.

Get a replacement and fit it yourself if you want, but perspex has no place in a road going car. A quick look on ebay and I found the piece you need for £15. €20 should see you sorted in a breakers yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 marzi

84 quid supplied and fitted with a vat receipt,brand new. i take it its a saloon and not a hatchback, as the hatch has a bonded 1/4, the saloon has a rubber fit vent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement