Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Lock

Options
  • 11-06-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi
    Just started my first wine brew today. There is a little red cap that fits on the air lock. Just double checking that it is meant to be on at all times right? If I take it off water spurts out and it won't be long before I have to refill the air lock. With it on though the water in the air lock is unbalanced and seems to be under pressure. I am leaving it on now. That's right isn't it.?
    Cheers
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Yeah, you leave it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Red cap off I say, it's all to do with the correct water level

I think 'in theory' you dont need any airlock at the initial part of fermentation as so much co2 is being produced and pushed pushed out then no external air should get in . Hence why the water is spurting out.. if you put less water in the airlock it should be ok,, just enough to cover the U-Bend.(same principal as yer sink u-bend)..

Once the fermentation settles though keeping external air out is important as the internal pressure isn't as great, thus fill up the airlock a bit more (with sterilised water)

The loose red cap on the top doesn't really make a difference imo,, if you put it on and the co2 internal pressure pushes it off then it's useless,,if you put it on and the co2 doesn't push it off then it's also unnecessary..

That's my take on it anyhow

this guy is pretty good but talks a hell of a lot unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 homebrew.ie

The red cap on the airlock is just for keeping flies out of the airlock. If you had water spurting out of the airlock it was probably because either you had a bit too much water in the airlock in which case some can come out but it should leave enough in it too be effective or you had a seriously vigorous fermentation and the pressure coming from the fermenter was just too much the airlock. Either way the red cap shouldn't affect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Armelodie wrote: »
    I think 'in theory' you dont need any airlock at the initial part of fermentation as so much co2 is being produced and pushed pushed out then no external air should get in . Hence why the water is spurting out.. if you put less water in the airlock it should be ok,, just enough to cover the U-Bend.(same principal as yer sink u-bend)..

Once the fermentation settles though keeping external air out is important as the internal pressure isn't as great, thus fill up the airlock a bit more (with sterilised water)
    Yeah, in theory you don't need an airlock at all. I've actually stopped using them myself. I just use a fermentation bucket with the lid kept on to stop any nasties getting in.

I used to use one of those Watercooler bottles (around the 20 litre capacity) and the initial vigorous fermentation would make the small airlock useless because the krausen would just push all the water out of the airlock. I'd use a blow off tube (see pic below) for the first few days, until fermentation died down and then pop the airlock in. Much handier using a bucket nowadays, and the one the OP has looks pretty cool.....but I bet there was a premium paid for looks alone!

blowoff1.jpg
    The red cap on the airlock is just for keeping flies out of the airlock.
    Yep

• Advertisement
Advertisement