Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A3 Printer recommendations

Options
  • 11-06-2011 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Just wondering if people here use A3 printers for work?

I have an old A4 printer at home, but its acting up and giving problems lately, so I'm looking into buying a new one, but I figure I may as well buy an A3 one and get it over with, it could come in handy for any drawing jobs etc., and I'm into photography and design and the like too, so it makes sense.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations for A3 printers, what do you use, any issues you have with it, any ones you've heard good things about etc. I'm also open to the idea of combo scanner printers, 'cos I kind of need a scanner too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have this.

Great little machine, Print/copy/scan/fax. Wireless also which is very handy.

Its also great for photo printing and the OCR function allows you to scan text documents and save them as files on your PC.

Loads of little features and economical on ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

I am with the Dinasours and STILL have my HP Deskjet 1220C.
    I have it over 9 years, gathering dust now but trust me, it has paid me times over back long ago.
    Always found it good for a range of uses, basic/advanced printing dwgs/pic etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

same as Ray on this one, the 1220 is a great 'little' printer.
    Ink costs are not too bad if you go to one of the refill shops.
    Also, for printing photos onto glossy, I find it better that some of the newer home orientated photo printers on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I have this a little while. 'tis good.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,093 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

another commendation for the 1220 from me.. been using it for years.. still going great and never needed a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Thanks for all the replies people!
    I've checked out the ones mentioned, although I had already considered a 1220, I would really like to get something with a scanner too, I rarely need a scanner, but when I do, its always a nightmare to find someone with one, so I may aswell make the splash and get one while I'm doing it.

I'm still reading up, and checking reviews, but I'll keep you posted on my purchase when it happens!

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Reliability and ink replacement costs are high on the list of what to look out for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I use this at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I have a HP 1280, its the newer version of the HP 1220c and although the paper jams arent as frequent as with the 1220 they still happen. Also tends to feed in an extra sheet halfway through printing the first one so you end up with 2 wasted pages, not really serious but very frustrating when your printing out for planning. The other thing I had problems with is finding a compatible driver for it with windows 7.

Was using an OKI 3200 (I think) A3/A4 laser printer which was absolutely brilliant, clear, fast and accurate. but the toner costs were too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bazma8

I also have a 1220 5+ yrs old and never had an issue with it. no paper jams or anything.

I also have an Canon MP530 A4 printer/fax/scanner/copier which is a good little machine.

Whatever you do don't buy a lexmark. They are cheap to buy but will cost you a small fortune in ink and other peripherals.

BTW Buying ink online Amazon is a fraction of the price of any shop or refill center I've found. For the Canon i can get 2 full sets (10 cartridges) posted to my house for less that half the price of on set on the high street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

sydthebeat wrote: »
    another commendation for the 1220 from me.. been using it for years.. still going great and never needed a service.

Great printer in my opinion.

Sorry to open up a very old thread but its happened at last...

After almost 10 years (I think ) My beloved HP 1220C has died...:(

Any recommendations of printers since the last post on this thread..?

Chancing my arm here. Since the last post I got my faithful old 1220C working again but I think this time is the end.

Any recommendations for a new A3 printer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Glebee wrote:
    Chancing my arm here. Since the last post I got my faithful old 1220C working again but I think this time is the end.

Do you want my 1220?

gman2k wrote: »
    Do you want my 1220?

No thanks. I think I deserve a new printer at this stage, although dont really print A3s alot anymore.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,093 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

still have my trusty 1220c working here, though the cost of ink is a pain.

we also got an officejet 7612 a few months ago, as the eventual replacement.... and its troublesome to be honest, not sure id recommend it.
    quite often have to turn it off and on to get it back on track.
    its wifi with 3 pcs connected, and maybe the initial set up was beyond my capabilities, but it shouldnt be that difficult to set up

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I got a Brother DCP-J4120DW a couple of months ago. It's an A4 printer but the bypass takes A3 sheets so its fine for the occasional large print. Four ink tanks, and you can get XL size tanks so its economical. I have 3 PCs connected via wifi. The process was a bit complicated, and it had difficulty connecting with my router, but once done it has worked fine, if a little noisily.

I think this model may have been recently discontinued, I bought mine in a well-known (hardly normal...) Australian store. If you can't find this model there are others in the Brother range that are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Using an Epson workforce 7610 in our office for a3s and has a fed scanner which is quite handy. Have a matching 3620 which uses same inks for a4s rather that swapping paper sizes

Advertisement