Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Push data settings iphone

Options
  • 11-06-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

My partner accepted the meteor push message to update the iphone 3GS with meteors settings last week. In the same week, there was a massive data usage of 500,000 KBs in onesitting and anothet for 250,000KBs the next day. This is really unusual and we can think of no other explanation. Average usage per dada session is about 10,000KBs.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could the data push be causing this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pugwall wrote: »
    My partner accepted the meteor push message to update the iphone 3GS with meteors settings last week. In the same week, there was a massive data usage of 500,000 KBs in onesitting and anothet for 250,000KBs the next day. This is really unusual and we can think of no other explanation. Average usage per dada session is about 10,000KBs.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could the data push be causing this?

OP, youve made me check my MyMeteor account there and i have some mega data uses, but no charge against them. my phones displays a different data useage as per the settings tab so maybe its a glitch on the Meteor side but i will be checking with them on Monday morning to confirm.

for example :

11 Jun 11

09:07

00:00:00

8993 KB

Mobile Internet

€ 0.0000

i know for a fact i was fast asleep at that time this morning?

also :

10 Jun 11

08:56

00:00:00

22259 KB

Mobile Internet

€ 0.0000

at this time i would of been parking the car for work, no way in hell i used that data?

very strange??

PS - i also accepted Meteors Carrier settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You're usually charged for a data session when it terminates. So, say your phone establishes a data session at 8pm, which closes at midnight (connection might reset, close, network coverage drops etc.) and in that four hours you download 10MB, that will appear as data usage of 10MB at 00:00 hrs even though you might be long asleep at midnight. That would explain the odd timings of the data entries in your account history.

As for data usage, it's possible Meteor are using/testing new APNs specific to the iPhone, which the carrier file defines? There may be issues with how they count data throughput on these APNs, generating phantom traffic usage. Could be just teething problems - worth giving them a ring anyway, especially if it's deducting the phantom traffic from your data allowance!

Advertisement