Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Line question.

Options
  • 11-06-2011 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Was big into fly fishing a few years ago but ahd no time the previous few Summers, so Ive forgotten what line I need for my fly reel.

I mainly do small river fishing for brown trout, sometimes venture onto larger rivers.. Mainly use flys such as the Bloody Butchers, Greenwells glory, the coachman and the black and silver spider. Not sure what category of flies these fall into as I forget that too, but said Id state them so the line I need can be associated to them..
    So what line do I ideally need? and what price roughly will it be (so that I know I wont be paying over the odds)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The flies you describe are wet flies. They can be fished with a sinking line, intermediate line or dry line.

In the summer we mainly use dry lines for wet fly fishing as the water is warm and the trout are constantly on the move looking for food. I'd say your best bet is to get a dry line.

As for the line itself, the side of the rod, just above the reel seat, has a rating on it which tells you what line the rod will cast. If its a trout rod it will be around the 5-7 mark.

The cost will be about €20 upwards. Some good brands that will last years are cortland and airflow. They'll cost you about €40-€50

Tight lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

You need to match your fly line to you fly rod.

So what ever value is on your rod, match with the correct line number..

If you rod is a 5/6, get yourself a 5WF floating line which will cover you for most of your fishing situations...

Here's a rough guide to lines.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fly Line Weight 1-3: Small trout, panfish, other small fish. Used when casting small flies on short casts.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fly Line Weight 4: Small to medium sized trout and other similarly sized fish. Used when casting small flies and medium sized flies using short to medium-short casts.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fly Line Weight 5-6: The most versatile of the line weights. This line weight fishes well for all but the smallest and all but the largest trout. Also performs adequately for smaller bass (not the lunkers in some Florida lake). Fishes well when using small, medium and larger sized flies (not massive streamers, though). Allows for longer casts yet performs short casts fairly well.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fly Line Weight 7-8: Designed for very large trout and large bass as well as some saltwater species. Used for pitching large streamers and large flies. Longer casts are excellent. Not the best for short casts. And most definitely not designed for smaller fish and smaller flies.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fly Line Weight 9-14: Large fish territory. Mainly used for saltwater fishing and fishing for Salmon and Steelhead.[/FONT]

Advertisement