Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New smartphone badly needed

Options
  • 11-06-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

My 3Gs is on its last legs, and has been for a few months now, but I made it drag its pitiful life out just a few months more, promising it that it could have eternal peace come June 2011. Now its screen is badly cracked, it only works for roughly five minutes a day and stubbornly shows the apple logo for the other 23 hours and fifty-five minutes of the day. Now, no new iPhone has been announced, and I am, as a result, unable to euthanise my faithful iPhone. Now, I need a new smartphone; if not an iPhone 5, then the next best thing. I searched iPhone 4 prices online after an online smartphone rankings chart told me that the iPhone 4 is still number one. Apparently the price is €599. That can't be right, as that was the starting price way back last June! What other good phones are there for good prices, and what are my options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

The iPhone 4 will stay at that price until the iPhone 5 comes out, you should give adverts a look as there are 16GB iPhone 4's still sealed going for around €450, well worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

why not just get a cheapass android phone and use it till the iphone 4s or 5 comes out in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Fbjm wrote: »
    My 3Gs is on its last legs, and has been for a few months now, but I made it drag its pitiful life out just a few months more, promising it that it could have eternal peace come June 2011. Now its screen is badly cracked, it only works for roughly five minutes a day and stubbornly shows the apple logo for the other 23 hours and fifty-five minutes of the day. Now, no new iPhone has been announced, and I am, as a result, unable to euthanise my faithful iPhone. Now, I need a new smartphone; if not an iPhone 5, then the next best thing. I searched iPhone 4 prices online after an online smartphone rankings chart told me that the iPhone 4 is still number one. Apparently the price is €599. That can't be right, as that was the starting price way back last June! What other good phones are there for good prices, and what are my options?

Try to get it fixed, new battery and screen for €30. Neither is to difficult to replace and might give it a new lease on life. I did mine and it was great until i dropped it again outside and its completely dead now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    why not just get a cheapass android phone and use it till the iphone 4s or 5 comes out in September?

Coz I'm an unemployed student :P if I use what I currently have to buy a cheap-ass one, I'll have nothing come September! Thinking ahead ;) :P

Doylers wrote: »
    Try to get it fixed, new battery and screen for €30. Neither is to difficult to replace and might give it a new lease on life. I did mine and it was great until i dropped it again outside and its completely dead now :D

Might do that actually, where could I get this done?

• Advertisement

Might do that actually, where could I get this done?

Get the parts from wherever but shop around online and you will get a good deal. I got a screen from amazon was about 15ish at the time. Then its just a youtube video to figure out what the hell you do :D

Get the parts from wherever but shop around online and you will get a good deal. I got a screen from amazon was about 15ish at the time. Then its just a youtube video to figure out what the hell you do :D

Fair enough, I'll give it a go over the summer then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I ordered a kit on ebay to try and fix my cracked screen! However, the screws on the top are too far down and the screw driver can't get at them! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263837

less then €200 for a 16Gb phone isn't bad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Fair enough, I'll give it a go over the summer then :)

€6 for a replacement screen and about €7 for a battery. Very easy fix

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    I ordered a kit on ebay to try and fix my cracked screen! However, the screws on the top are too far down and the screw driver can't get at them! :(

If you got a kit then it should come with everything needed. Ill link you to the kit I got. http://www.syncron.ie/IPHONE_3GS_REPLACEMENT_LCD_TOUCH_SCREEN_DIGITIZER_p/lcd.htm

If you got a kit then it should come with everything needed. Ill link you to the kit I got. http://www.syncron.ie/IPHONE_3GS_REPLACEMENT_LCD_TOUCH_SCREEN_DIGITIZER_p/lcd.htm

One more thing Doylers, my sim card won't come out of the slot no matter what I shove down that little hole at the top. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

One more thing Doylers, my sim card won't come out of the slot no matter what I shove down that little hole at the top. Any ideas?

when you remove the front screen you can simple push it up.

Advertisement