Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor-Bike Advice

Options
  • 11-06-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey,
    Im considering getting set up with a motor bike by the end of the summer!! Ive never owned a bike before and have not got a license yet..however I have rode bikes before...im wondering what sort of cost I could get a good starter bike, get insured,texed, complete the tests and purchase some good gear. i suppose id be hoping to keep within around 3000 eur...is this feasible or just dam ridiculous? any help would be greatly appreciated as i really dont know a lot about bikes yet or which model to get!!
    :confused:

Thank you
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

A quick note for you to remember is you also need to complete the 16hr CBT before you can get on the road, you will need to budget for this as well

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

technically is would be possible to get in under 3000 but there would be alot of compromising. to give you a better idea we would need to know your age the style of bike your looking to get and if your handy enough with a wrench or afraid of getting your hands dirty.

in general you would need to get a dirt cheap bike in questionable condition that would need some tlc, probably TPO insurance which leaves you in a bad way if you ever had a serious accident, then between gear courses and fees you would be tight enough.

im open to correction on any of these if someone else has done the same recently as these are all just estimates from when i did it last year.

bike random 15-20 year old learner legal 250cc+ €1000.
    TPO/TPFT insurance if you were around 25 €800-1100
    cbt if you shop around roughly €500
    budget gear full set helmet/jacket/trousers/gloves/boots €600
    eye test €20
    dont know the prices of theory test and licence test but say €150

if you wanted a newer or nice bike you could be looking easily at €2000
    if you wanted nicer gear, i paid 1200 for full set of gear, and that was with money off boots/helmet and gloves.
    if you wanted fully comp insureance your could be looking at 1400+ (at 26 i was quoted 1100 for Fully comp on a 125cc)

motorbikes are great, i love them, im on my third one now in less than a year, but there is one thing that doesn't suit this hobby/lifestyle and thats a tight budget, but as i said before it could all change if you older and dont care about how nice your bike looks. cheap bike + cheap insurance = more money for better gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kentish

hey thanks for the help...
    im 25 yrs of age and have relatively little knowledge on which bikes to choose...id be looking for a sporty bike :) if that makes sense...and tbh id rather get fully comp insurance especially with a bike...obviously 3000 seems to be pushing the boat out a bit but u reckon if i was to increase my budget to about 40000/45000 i could be a lot better off!!
    have been very keen to get a bike for the last few yrs but have never got around to actually sorting it out!! have a crap car...and wud rather have a crap car and not so bad bike than visa versa!
    are the driving tests tough?? whos is best for insurance? where could i get the gear 2nd hand??
    thanks folks for all your help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Kentish wrote: »
    im 25 yrs of age and have relatively little knowledge on which bikes to choose...id be looking for a sporty bike :) if that makes sense...and tbh id rather get fully comp insurance especially with a bike.
    Sports type bikes will be more expensive to insure, make sure you check out insurance costs before you buy anything. Fully comp insurance on your first policy will be a good bit more expensive, chances are your first bike won't be worth enough to justify the extra expense.
    have a crap car...and wud rather have a crap car and not so bad bike than visa versa!
    Couldn't agree with you more on that one!
    are the driving tests tough??
    The theory test is easy but you'll probably have to study a small bit. The actual driving test is very simple if you have good basic control of the bike and do a lesson to learn how to pass the test
    whos is best for insurance?
    More than likely Quinn Direct or Adelaide but theres only four companies so ring around and find the best one.
    where could i get the gear 2nd hand??
    Donedeal or Ebay probably your best bet. Do not buy a helmet second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

first thing you need to know is, its motorbike not motor-bike... :pac:

i kid, i kid!

hmm, lemmie see, mine was...

gear: 600
    bike: 1000
    restriction: 200
    insurance : 650

but i didnt have to do IBT as i got my prov before it came in so you'd have to add that to the price, what is it? around 600?
    also my gear was on sale in cotters and they did a good deal for me.

think it really depends on the bike you want to reflect the price of the over all.

good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 megamonsterboy

3 wheel bikes like the MP3 or Fuoco can be driven on a car license

Insurance is available through AON icon6.gif

Piaggio MP3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_MP3

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

In my opinion €3,000 is setting the bar way too low. But maybe that's just me. Now, i'm only sitting the IBT this coming Friday, but if it helps here's what i figure my budget will be for a decent bike and good gear.

IBT - €450
    Gear - €800
    Bike - €3,000
    Tax + Ins - €2,000

Worth bearing in mind though that i'm looking to get good gear, a 2008+ Kawasaki Ninja 250R, and ideally fully comp insurance. Now, i'm hoping that maybe i'll save a few euros if insurance is a bit less than i'm allowing for, or i get a very good deal on a bike, but i think you're better off if you're generous with your budget. Nicer to budget for 6 grand and fork out 5, than it is to budget for 4 grand and fork out 5...

But from all the research i've done over the last few months i think you'll be doing very very well if your budget comes in anywhere around the 3 grand mark you've set for yourself. Again, though, this is just my opinion.

Best of luck with your future biking, good sir/madam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

u reckon if i was to increase my budget to about 40000/45000 i could be a lot better off!!.....

Jaysus you'd get some bike for that budget!!! ;):p

Advertisement