Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Upgrading RAM/Windows 7 64 advice??

Options
  • 11-06-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys,

Planning on upgrading the RAM and hard drive on my laptop to support Windows 7 64 bit.The laptop is about 3 years old now and it currently runs Windows Vista 32-bit with 2GB RAM with a 2GHz AMD Turion 64x2 (Dual Core).

The processor is 64-bit compatible, so would it be worth my money to upgrade to 4GB RAM and install Windows 7 64-bit or should I be looking towards a new laptop at a later date??

Any opinions or advice would be a great help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I run Win7 64bit on my 2.5 year old Dell Inspiron 1525, 4Gb of RAM and a 2.0Ghz Intel Pentium Dual Core and it runs perfectly. I only have 120Gb hard drive too.

I don't think you would need to upgrade the laptop at all tbh, unless you are going to be doing heavy duty work on it, you usually won't notice the difference in 2Gb and 4Gb, mine rarely uses more than 1Gb of RAM. So unless you want to do video editing you probably don't need the extra RAM and your CPU would struggle to do video editing anyway :)

But do remember, me is n00b, just offering my opinion. Someone more experienced might have better insights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FunkeeFresh

Thanks Fluffy!! I'll be using it for home recording of music and editing so it could do with the extra ram not to mention a better OS!!

Advertisement