Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Defy 2 or Lapierre Audacio 400

Options
  • 11-06-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'm going to buy a bike through the bike2work scheme and as well as commuting to work I plan to do quite a bit of cycling at weekends. Can I get some help choosing between the following:

Giant Defy 2 or Lapierre Audacio 400

I'll get a corporate discount also so the 2 bikes come in at almost the same price of €915.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me... me's a bit lost here! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The Lapierre is the best looking, the Giant is too common and the Cube has a stupid name but has the best components.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

i have the lapierre,

it's grand but there are better bikes out there for the money-check out canyon roadlites on canyon.com.

or if you can stretch to a couple of extra hundred, you could get a carbon frame.

if you get into cycling you'll regret not buying one to begin with-with bike to work you could potentially get a carbon frame bike with good components for around the grand mark or less.

do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated! I suppose everyone has their preferences. Anyway if I can be impartial then from this site I got the following ratings:

Cube Attempt - 4.5 stars - €1092
    Lapierre Audacio 400 - 3.5 stars - €914
    Giant Defy 2 - 4.5 stars - €918

The prices come from the one store I have to buy through according to my employer's bike2work scheme.

On a "bang for buck" model that makes the Giant Defy 2 the winner or am I looking at this too simply? :confused:

no the giant is the worst..sora - tiagra -105 in order of betterness. giant and la Pierre are trading on their names rather than their specs. cube for me hands down. my next bike will be a cube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Doesn't look like the Giant defy 2 is a good deal at close to a grand with sora equipment and without a carbon fork.

You could save yourself a couple of hundred on a relatively similar specked Giant, like the Defy 4 - http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=39621

Or up the budget to around €1,300 - €2k and get a very decent entry level carbon bike.

OK almost everyone are pushing me towards the Cube.

Cube Attempt Bike '10 at €1124
    The only problem here is that they only stock size 50. When I visited the shop they measured me up and suggested size 52 for the Lapierre. Maybe 50 in the Cube would be a bit small for me?

Would either of these be a decent alternative or a big drop in spec, both at €1,050?

Cube Attempt Triple Bike '11
    Cube Attempt Compact Bike '11

yeah either of them, I'd take the compact

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

kenmc wrote: »
    yeah either of them, I'd take the compact
    Is there any advantage of a compact over a triple? Would a triple not be better for a beginner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DAZOD

it might be a good idea to decide what type of main use you intend for the bike before you decide which bike is for you.
    alot of making the right decision is going to be down to the type of use the bike is going to have.
    sure the various components and frame etc make up the spec of the over all bike, but the actual comfort of the bike, roads you intend to use it on and type of cycling you intend to do are more important in making your decision as to which bike to choose.
    all of the bike you have discussed have merit and agreed the highest spec is the cube, however unless your intending on doing serious road work you probably wont notice or benefit from the addition cost over the giant.
    if however you intend to get into club cycling or road racing or triathlon then perhaps you should consider the cube or a canyon or a scott.
    the scott is probably the best value for money but the hardest to get, there are also some nice treks worth considering.
    i can say you wont go far wrong with the giant and at least no matter where you are you'll find a local dealer and that is what youll need starting off, if you have an issue only a lbs can help you on the ground and youll have a point of call for any issue.
    there is a good dealer in baileboro cavan i can remember their names only that the guy in there is called sean call in there a few months ago, not too far from monaghan,

make sure you sit on the bike and try the frame size, not all bodys are the same proportion so your legs might be shorter or longer relative to your height.

• Advertisement

DAZOD wrote: »
    it might be a good idea to decide what type of main use you intend for the bike before you decide which bike is for you.
    alot of making the right decision is going to be down to the type of use the bike is going to have.
    sure the various components and frame etc make up the spec of the over all bike, but the actual comfort of the bike, roads you intend to use it on and type of cycling you intend to do are more important in making your decision as to which bike to choose.
    all of the bike you have discussed have merit and agreed the highest spec is the cube, however unless your intending on doing serious road work you probably wont notice or benefit from the addition cost over the giant.

I'd say it's unlikely I'll go into competitions. It'll probably be just weekend spins myself or with a few friends. Maybe then the Giant is the best option for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 keyzar

hey, in regard to purchasing the Cube Attempt Triple Bike '11 or
    Cube Attempt Compact Bike '11 from cycle superways. did you manage to get any discount off the price on the website?
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Lapierre!!!!! I love mine, just back in from a spin on it!

Advertisement