Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I have to do Project Maths?

Options
  • 11-06-2011 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, I'm doing the Leaving Cert next year, will all schools be doing this "Project Maths" exam next year? Also, if you did Project Maths this year, how was it? Is it easier than the normal maths paper, or harder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

It was a joke in comparison to the real paper this year and if you're in 5th year now then yes, you'll be doing phase 1 of project maths. They're phasing in the new course over 3 years, not sure what's first though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sean Healy

I don't like the sound of that :/ They best make loads of sample papers!... Also, where on earth did they come up with the name, "Project Maths?" It has to be the most condescending name for a course that I have ever heard in my entire life :mad::mad: I just took a look at examinations.ie and the paper looks like something you'd give to primary school kids with the graphed spaces, I liked using lashings of paper to answer questions but now I have to fit it all into a small box? I've also heard that they're getting rid of matrices, Very bad move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Those of us doing Project Maths had only one sample paper to work with for yesterday's Paper One exam, and despite being told that our exam would resemble this as opposed to the hideous mock paper we got, it was almost as bad as the mock, and looked nothing like the sample. It was also just as bad as the normal Maths paper, as one or two of the questions we got were described as impossible by teachers in many of the schools doing Project Maths!

I would imagine that you will have to do it since it's being rolled out across the country, but it's only Paper Two for you, and it shouldn't be half as bad as this year's Paper One.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Colm92

Those looking for the higher level paper its here http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC003ALP130EV.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

If we have to repeat next year do we also have to do project maths? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

polka dot wrote: »
    If we have to repeat next year do we also have to do project maths? :rolleyes:

If I had to guess, I would say you would get the same as everyone else in the country next year: Paper One from the old course and Paper Two from Project Maths.

As far as I know, repeats can stick with the old course :)

The whole thing of project maths is to make the inernational community think that project maths is better, and to attract investment. The appalling paper this year is just to make project maths look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

magicianz wrote: »
    As far as I know, repeats can stick with the old course :)

The whole thing of project maths is to make the inernational community think that project maths is better, and to attract investment. The appalling paper this year is just to make project maths look better.

<we don't need you abusing people here>

Have you looked at the course? What it's going to be like in another 3 years? That paper had some hard elements from our paper but it was an easier paper withthe project maths element.

Also, could you point out where i said it was easier? I didnt actually say anything about the difficulty of the paper itself, just comparing it to a proper maths paper.

Now I'm sorry your pissed off about maths, but that doesn't make it alright to personally attack me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

magicianz wrote: »
    It was a joke in comparison to the real paper this year and if you're in 5th year now then yes, you'll be doing phase 1 of project maths. They're phasing in the new course over 3 years, not sure what's first though :)

Do you not remember posting this then? Your paper had more choice, we had NO past papers to study from and no text book includes paper 1 contexts. <snipped abuse>

<warning - the tone of your posts is most unpleasant and aggressive - think before you post>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

just had a look at the paper there, is this to replace honours maths? if so, i'm seriously worried about the future of science/eng/IT in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Leaving certs in 2012 will have paper one of the old course and paper two of project maths.
    Leaving certs in 2013 will have paper one like it was this year and paper two project maths
    2014 it will be fully new.

Thats what I read ...... Can't remember where but ya!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement