Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is easier Subject to pick up to repeat leaving cert?

Options
  • 10-06-2011 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Physics
    Accounting
    Chemistry

I am already doing Business and Biology.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

I would not recommend chemistry over one year anyway, I consider myself quiet good at it but it really only comes together in 6th year when you begin to see how the whole course links together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I know a lot of people pick up Ag Science as repeats. I've heard there is a lot of overlap if you do Biology but I'm not sure how true that is as I don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Niamh2389 wrote: »
    Physics
    Accounting
    Chemistry

I am already doing Business and Biology.

:)

Are you in the middle of your exams ATM? If so I recommend to forget about repeating for the moment and get the best LC you can, even just to get all your requirements if you plan on dropping subjects and plus you might surprise yourself and do better.

Aoifums wrote: »
    I know a lot of people pick up Ag Science as repeats. I've heard there is a lot of overlap if you do Biology but I'm not sure how true that is as I don't do it.

I do Ag and Bio, there is overlap but not as much as people think, however the project is a great way to pick up marks in Ag. But if you already do Bio, I would recommend Ag as it is a short course.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

the economics course is actually meant to be fairly short and easy to pick up and cover in a year.

but out of those 3 i would pick accounting, but it will be very hard to cover within a year, at the same time you might be able to because the paper is divided into 3 sections

section 1
    in this section you do the 120 mark q1 or 2 short 60 marks
    i would advise you just to concentrate on the 120 marks to save time which are company, sole trader and manufacturing accounts

then section 2
    you do 2 out of 3 100 mrk questions
    q5 every year is ratios or the back up q, i would say learn this really well and aim to be answering it,
    as for q6&7 you'll prob have to learn 3 or 4 of these and maybe check with an accounting teacher also - incomplete records, suspense, cash flow, published, and club accounts however i can't really say which is likely yet i'll have to see whats up this year first.

then sec 3
    since you don't have much time just either learn q8 costing or q 9 budgetting

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

I would STRONGLY STRONGLY advise you not to even think about picking Chemistry for 1 year. You need at least a year and a half. It's very technical in places, and you need time to go through it in as much detail as possible, especially organic chemistry and the REDOX Reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

Business obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itzybitzyfitzy

As someone who did the Leaving Cert last year I would strongly recommend to NOT take up accounting as it was one of the most time consuming subjects as alot of it was work you did yourself over and over again at home. Economics is ok, though don't make predictions I went from getting an A2 in the mocks to getting a B3 in the actual as our sub loved his predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

If your mathematically minded and logical, construction studies or dcg would be good for you :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Of the three you asked about, I would say Physics, but it's much of a muchness really. So much depends on your own strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Not accountancy. Great subject, and quite easy. But not possible to cover in one year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Of those 3, I'd say accounting, depending on your own strengths too.

Would be hard to cover in a year...but you mightn't necessarily have to cover everything. We had finished the course 3 months into 6th year and if you went at it intensively you could probably do it.

I wouldn't like to do physics in one year at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

if you're mathematically minded, you could do physics no problem in a year, hell if you worked your hole off you could do it in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

Sorry misread the question.

Do chemistry. It is fun, enjoyable and once you learn definitions its easy.
    Used to love doing mole calculations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

magicianz wrote: »
    If your mathematically minded and logical, construction studies or dcg would be good for you :)
    Note though that if you did either of these you'd have project work and a practical test for Construction Studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

To be honest, none of those subjects lend themselves well to one year of learning.
    Are they really your only options?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

I do both Chemistry and Accounting. Accounting would be easier exam wise in my opinion but to learn it over 1 year would be very difficult. It's all about practice and there are a lot of different questions to master in just 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CyrilH_

If anyone ever views this thread in the future I just thought I could offer a little bit of insight as I'm just about to sit my exams and I do chemistry and business.

I would not in a million years reccommend attempting chemistry for a year unless you've some idea about it. It took me at least a year and a half to grasp it and I also have grinds too. It's very tough.
    Business however is just a lot of theory and whilst it's a bit boring it's very easy to understand. There's a lot of content but if you can get your head around it you will fly it. I wouldn't know if you could pick it up in a year as it's such a big course but if you worked VERY hard you probably could, but after a year I had about 2/3 of the course done and I got a C in my summer test. I think you need a little bit more than a year.
    From what's been said on here I'd say Ag. Science is the best shout if you are anyway decent with biology, repeating is an option for me and I was thinking of either picking up a subject or moving to higher level irish (i have 5 honours subjects so i might try and have 6?) and i found this. Ag. Science seem's alright if it's a short course, and if you're good with science. Plus the project.

Not that any of this advice matters to the OP anyway seeing as I'm a few years late with the help haha. But if anyone see's it from here on out, I hope it helps :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CyrilH_ wrote: »
    Not that any of this advice matters to the OP anyway seeing as I'm a few years late with the help haha.
    Zombie thread closed! :p

I suspect Cyril has been hit by the procrastination bug! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement