Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caro Digital Oyster QQQQ

Options
  • 10-06-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

As above folks i have this system in my camper,,,my problem is i seem to be only able to locate Astra 1 satellite (and its all foreign language stations) is this normal or am i doing something wrong,,any help would be appriciated,as in can i tune in manually or what am i doing wrong,,,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

If you are getting astra 1 the dish is pointed in the wrong direction. Astra 1 is at 19degrees east. Astra 2B is at 28 degrees east.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Its a automatic search system,,,,it gives me the option to search for Astra 2 but it cant seem to find it,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Is this the first time you have used it? Did you select one of the Astra 2 channels (BBC, ITV etc)? That system should automatically swap over to the Astra 2 when an Astra 2 channel is selected. As far as I can see the Astra two channel are preset in the receiver between channel 1000-1185.

When i select a Astra 2 chanell it tells me no signal,,,,

If i can receive the astra 1 satellite,should i be able to receive the astra 2 also,,,or is it i can receive one because of the location im in,,,,,in otherwords is ther much difference in the location range between the two,,,,,thanks and sorry for the hassell...

By the way it is the first time useing it and i havnt got thr manual,,its the system that was in the camper when i got it,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

location makes no difference . Try twisting the LNB a few degrees when it locks onto Astra 2.

• Advertisement

Theres no LNB on it (well like the normal type anyway) its just a flat dish and the cable goes into the back of it,,,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

elaverty wrote: »
    Theres no LNB on it (well like the normal type anyway) its just a flat dish and the cable goes into the back of it,,,,,,

"The Skew of the unit can be adjusted from the rear of the unit when the satellite dish is in up."

Manual is here: http://www.outdoorbits.com/Brochures/OYSTER-CARO-Cosmo_ba_operatingInstructions_11-06_EN.pdf

"Rotations in CLOCKWISE direction are negative (–).
    Rotations in COUNTERCLOCKWISE direction are positive (+). "

I'd ignore they're skew values in the manual you can calculate them here:
    http://www.satlex.de/en/azel_calc-params.html?satlo=28.2&user_satlo=&user_satlo_dir=E&location=53.33%2C-6.25&la=53.33&lo=-6.25&country_code=ie&diam_w=75&diam_h=80

Thanks....If its working right and its finding astra 1 automatically as it should,,surely it should be able to find astra 2 the same way,if its working right,,,,,,I cant see how i would have to try and find/adjust it manually...
    It goes through the search but just can find it......

Reception for that dish will probably be weak anyway.

Theres 7 degrees skew difference between the 19 and 28 E however if you were skewed off the wrong direction for 19e you'd be miles off for 28e.

Are you sure theres nothing in your line of sight for 28e, chimney, trees etc. or a roof box?

how does it work without an LNB? Is it a digital or analogue system? A lot of the German import 'vans had analogue ones , no good to us here.

• Advertisement

Its digital Adian,,,,,,,,whats the story with getting astra 1 and not astra 2,,im wondering...

paddyp wrote: »
    Reception for that dish will probably be weak anyway.

Theres 7 degrees skew difference between the 19 and 28 E however if you were skewed off the wrong direction for 19e you'd be miles off for 28e.

Are you sure theres nothing in your line of sight for 28e, chimney, trees etc. or a roof box?

Dont think anything is blockig it,,ive tried it in 3/4 locations,,,,and it picks up astra 1 in all locations,,,,,

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    how does it work without an LNB?

It has an lnb but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it captain - its integrated.

Oh well, I checked the footprint for the dish and it should be ok like you say. Did a quick google search found a thread with lots of people with the same problem with the oyster vision system. A software update was the fix.

http://www.ten-haaft.de/downloads/GB_update.php

It has an lnb but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it captain - its integrated.

"there's Klingons on the starboard bow , starboard bow , starboard bow ...." :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lob

How old is the system? The software in the system may need to be updated. What part of the country are you in?

lob wrote: »
    How old is the system? The software in the system may need to be updated. What part of the country are you in?

Kildare I think. If you're up roscommon direction I could help you out with the software update. I have rs232 cables coming out my ears.

Its in a 05 camper so im assumeing its original (ish)

Kildare I think. If you're up roscommon direction I could help you out with the software update. I have rs232 cables coming out my ears.

Yea im in Kildare allright,,and was in Loughkey last weekend (typical)..

I was talking to someone yesterday and they were saying that some of the foreign ones that came in are only able to receive astra 1,,and wont be able to receive astra 2,,,,,,,,im not too savvy with the computer and updateing and stuff,,,one of the lads posted the update site a few posts back but i havnt got the lead,,,so if you could try and update it for me it would be great....planning on going back to Loughkey in 3/4weeks time,,,do you think we could arrange something,,thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lob

I am in Trim and install Oyster and Camos dishes can take a look at it for you if you wish.

• Advertisement

I am in Trim and install Oyster and Camos dishes can take a look at it for you if you wish.

That would be great Lob as not too far away,,,and would you be able to update the software if needed as that may be the problemo,,,,are you there of a evening or just working hours,,,,

Advertisement