Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for djing/producing HELP!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

the mac FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Get a Mac. The majority of top DJ's use them, for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

djhaxman wrote: »
    Get a Mac. The majority of top DJ's use them, for a reason.

Yeah, they're insecure label junkies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

thats it i think maybe people use macs to look cool, in reality though which is better? lets not turn this into another mac v pc thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

thats it i think maybe people use macs to look cool, in reality though which is better? lets not turn this into another mac v pc thread!

Macs are better,it's nothing got to do with what looks cool,there simply more capable for working with audio

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    Macs are better,it's nothing got to do with what looks cool,there simply more capable for working with audio

duly noted seannash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Mac has Apple software sitting on top of Apple-vetted hardware running Apple drivers. This gives you an element of stability that you don't always get with a PC. You'll pay more for a Mac though :)

Whatever you do buy, it MUST be treated as a dedicated work machine ONLY. Don't use it for surfing the web, don't use it for browsing facebook and definitely don't use it for downloading. Keep it slimmed right down and only install what you absolutely need to. Otherwise you're asking for trouble.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Apple machines are reliable for a reason, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Without this going in to another Mac vs PC debate, out of the two machines you've put up, go for the MacBook pro, it'll last you a long time, and you'll get more work done with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gorilla_ie

fact if i had the money i would purchase a Mac

altough any laptop i have ever owned has been a hp and they have always been reliable for me ... the spec on the hp looks very good ..

a windows machine will be okay, only if you are VERY computer literate, and are able to keep it in tip top shape.

if you do decide to get a windows machine, install windows XP on it...and DONT ever put it online!

keep it only for production!

• Advertisement

seems like its going to be a mac so!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

My current laptop cost my €150 - and it can handle anything I throw at it. It works better than my last laptop which cost well over a grand.

Yeah, they're insecure label junkies...

Your point being?

See Seannash's post above for what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

i had a pavillion that died after a couple of years.riddled with issues from fan to hard drive, will never buy hp again

Your point being?

They weren't breastfed as babies resulting in general anxiety disorders as children and depression in teenage years which they sought to offset with consumerism leading to have an almost pathological need for what marketing people convince them is desirable. Subliminal messages in Apple advertising is particularly effective when used on adults who weren't breastfed as babies but hey if you think it's about stability I won't be able to convince you differently...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

eeloe wrote: »
    a windows machine will be okay, only if you are VERY computer literate, and are able to keep it in tip top shape.

if you do decide to get a windows machine, install windows XP on it...and DONT ever put it online!

keep it only for production!

Why would you put xp on it, are you insane? The laptop he is looking to use have 8gb of ram. If he puts xp onto it he is reducing it to 3gb greatly reducing the performance. Especially if you have windows 7 it always outperforms xp on high powered machines.

I'd also go with the mac if I had the choice.

GarIT wrote: »
    Why would you put xp on it, are you insane? The laptop he is looking to use have 8gb of ram. If he puts xp onto it he is reducing it to 3gb greatly reducing the performance. Especially if you have windows 7 it always outperforms xp on high powered machines.

I'd also go with the mac if I had the choice.

32bit windows 7 can only read 3.25gb of ram at it's peak, and with 7 having a lot more bells and whistles...it uses more ram than xp @ idle.

If you install 64bit windows 7 you run in to major walls with compatibility issues....just get a mac, less heartache.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

eeloe wrote: »
    32bit windows 7 can only read 3.25gb of ram at it's peak, and with 7 having a lot more bells and whistles...it uses more ram than xp @ idle.

If you install 64bit windows 7 you run in to major walls with compatibility issues....just get a mac, less heartache.

Xp uses less ram but has less performance, the extra ram that 7 uses is mainly used to speed up applications. And the laptop he is looking at has 64x so it will recgonise 6gb more ram than xp would. There shouldn't be any issues with windows 7 because you can run as 32bit windows 7 or xp. Most of the software he mentioned works with 64bit windows with no problems anyway. There's also no XP drivers for the laptop he's looking at.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I pretty much hate Apple but I'd still only recommend a mac for laptop DJing. Its pretty much plug and play I have never had an issue. Before I got a Mac I would regularly have my head wrecked with driver or sound issues etc.

Normal day to day computer work I love windows, but for music & Djing Mac's are worth the extra money.

They weren't breastfed as babies resulting in general anxiety disorders as children and depression in teenage years which they sought to offset with consumerism leading to have an almost pathological need for what marketing people convince them is desirable. Subliminal messages in Apple advertising is particularly effective when used on adults who weren't breastfed as babies but hey if you think it's about stability I won't be able to convince you differently...

Lay off the drugs man, they're not doing you any good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

These always make me chuckle...

Mac%20ad%20comic.jpg

mac-vs-pc-7.jpg

001gay-test-mac-vs-pc-1.jpg

mac-pc-truth.jpg

PC__Mac_Vs_Linux.jpg

macpc.jpg

macvspc.jpg

macs.jpg

Lay off the drugs man, they're not doing you any good.

Does he look like he was breastfed?

richie-hawtin-celebrates-no-releases-no-concerts-no-appearances-Richie_Hawtin.jpg

I rest my case…

It's a conspiracy by Apple to indoctrinate the general public into believing that the best way to work is through the use of apps and iStuff and then when everyone is incapable of doing the simplest tasks on their computers because of their over-reliance on apple products they'll broadcast a series of flashing lights over their iCloud that will act as a neurotoxin inducing a zombified state and creating a post nuclear apocalypse in which Jobs and his minions will escape from into a series of tunnels that they have built under silicon valley where they will wait it out until every the rest of the world population is wiped out. When this has been achieved Jobs and his cohorts will return to the surface where they will create a Randian utopia. Everyone knows this…

Does he look like he was breastfed?

Why are you on here? You are clearly too intelligent for this board.

Look, I'm not a Mac person, having had PC's all my life, but everyone and their granny knows that Macs are better suited for running music software. Hawtin is a top DJ as are Liebing and Speedy J, all 3 can't be wrong.

Why are you on here? You are clearly too intelligent for this board.

Look, I'm not a Mac person, having had PC's all my life, but everyone and their granny knows that Macs are better suited for running music software. Hawtin is a top DJ as are Liebing and Speedy J, all 3 can't be wrong.

Who are all in a cult with Steve Jobs. I have documentary evidence!

TheCult-band-1989.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mixxx on Ubuntu :p

If you have loads of cash and want an OOTB solution, go mac, but if you care about you're hard earned cash and are willing to spend a bit of time tweaking, PC is the way.

In terms of a PC, 4GB, i3 and a 7200RPM drive would be my specs. Oh, and a nice screen. GPU is of little consequence.

Who are all in a cult with Steve Jobs. I have documentary evidence!

TheCult-band-1989.jpg

Ok you win :pac:

Advertisement