Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42" Hanspree 1080P LCD TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

super tv. Would not buy another make since bying Hannspree recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Great price and freeview built in

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭zu

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Great price and freeview built in

Freeview functionality is pretty irrelevant. One should be more concerned about Saorview for Irish Digital. I recently bought one, but returned it straight away. It could receieve the Digital channels okay - RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e, News etc. (MPEG4) However I couldn't get the new teletext service to work on it (MHEG5)

caveat emptor

zu wrote: »
    Freeview functionality is pretty irrelevant. One should be more concerned about Saorview for Irish Digital. I recently bought one, but returned it straight away. It could receieve the Digital channels okay - RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e, News etc. (MPEG4) However I couldn't get the new teletext service to work on it (MHEG5)

caveat emptor

Yeah it has mpeg4, (saorview), plus I definately wouldn't have teletext as a deciding factor in buying a televesion but that's just me, rarely use it.

Edit: Plus freeview is hardly irrelevant considering if it doesn't have it you'll have to buy a set top box come the turning off of the analogue signal next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

zu wrote: »

caveat emptor

Was that an AOC model?

I asked DID asst. manager and TV sales guy about MHEG5 on the AOC, they frankly hadn't a clue which disappointed me given it's the minimum they should know.

AOC say they are working on a Firmware update to fix the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

From the DID website:

Hannspree Full HD LCD TV. MPEG 4 and MHEG 5 (Irish Digital TV format)
    Was €399.99
    Save €150.00
    SALE €249.99

Available InStore and Online Saturday 11th June @9am

So it's going for 250 and apparently it does have MHEG 5...

EDIT
    oops - unless it was this one the OP was referring to...
    Hannspree 42" FULL HD LCD TV.
    Was €549.99
    Save €150.00
    SALE €399.99

InStore and Online 11th June @9am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Edit: Plus freeview is hardly irrelevant considering if it doesn't have it you'll have to buy a set top box come the turning off of the analogue signal next year.

Freeview is 100% irrelevant as replacement for RTE analogue. Freeview spec is not compatible with Saorview the RTE analogue replacement, Freeview is MPEG2 and not MPEG4.

FreeviewHD which has a total different spec is broadly compatible with Saorview.

Also it's worth noting the Analogue switch off will occur at the end of 2012 and not at the start of 2012.

scorn wrote: »

EDIT
    oops - unless it was this one the OP was referring to...
    Hannspree 42" FULL HD LCD TV.
    Was €549.99
    Save €150.00
    SALE €399.99

InStore and Online 11th June @9am

Yeah that's the right model there, it does have MHEG5 aswell though.

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Freeview is 100% irrelevant as replacement for RTE analogue. Freeview spec is not compatible with Saorview the RTE analogue replacement, Freeview is MPEG2 and not MPEG4.

FreeviewHD which has a total different spec is broadly compatible with Saorview.

Also it's worth noting the Analogue switch off will occur at the end of 2012 and not at the start of 2012.

Ok well by freeview I meant saorview, it's saorview compatible and not free view. It's still being turned off next year irrelevant of when during the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Ok lads, so is that TV excellent value ? and when this analogue thing happens(haven't a clue about it so excuse my ignorance) will the TV still work and be ok?

I am seriously considering buying it - it also comes with a 2 year warranty.

The other TV I was looking at is below but is €459.99 and only 1 year parts/labour but it is an LG.

http://www.powercity.ie/?action=laptopbacker&pcode=42LK450

Any feedback appreciated :)

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Ok lads, so is that TV excellent value ? and when this analogue thing happens(haven't a clue about it so excuse my ignorance) will the TV still work and be ok?

I am seriously considering buying it - it also comes with a 2 year warranty.

The other TV I was looking at is below but is €459.99 and only 1 year parts/labour but it is an LG.

http://www.powercity.ie/?action=laptopbacker&pcode=42LK450

Any feedback appreciated :)

Yeah it's good value, and it will get saorview (anologue thingy going off) so you will not need any aerials or set top box's to get the Irish channels (and you'll get 3e etc with it). From above the Hanspree tv is good quality aswell so I'd say go for it, very little difference between the two and two year's warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

You will only have to worry about saorview if you haven't got sky digital or UPC, or if you are thinking of getting rid of them in the future. These will have the Irish channels on them

Yeah it's good value, and it will get saorview (anologue thingy going off) so you will not need any aerials or set top box's to get the Irish channels (and you'll get 3e etc with it). From above the Hanspree tv is good quality aswell so I'd say go for it, very little difference between the two and two year's warranty.

If you currently have a TV aerial, chances are it should be capable of receiving Saorview.

If you do not have a Sky/UPC subscription, a roof, loft or indoor aerial is certainly necessary to access the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A friend is a retailer seeking tvs. He was doing hanspree but had so many faulty returns that he stopped doing them despite the keen pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

or an external aerial AND a signal booster if you're in navan like me since you have to get the signal from the 3 rock transmitter which is fecking miles away. :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Was that an AOC model?

I asked DID asst. manager and TV sales guy about MHEG5 on the AOC, they frankly hadn't a clue which disappointed me given it's the minimum they should know.

AOC say they are working on a Firmware update to fix the problem.
    I don't know about the Hannspree on offer, but the Hannspree's I've seen before don't work with Aertel Digital (MHEG5) despite there being "MHEG5" written on the front of the box.

Presumably, the MHEG5 functionality works fine for UK Freeview, but not Irish Saorview.

Be interesting if somebody buys this can confirm that this TV works with Aertel Digital, instead of the usual Aertel teletext.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

It says full HD but on the site it has HD ready :confused:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

jay-me wrote: »
    It says full HD but on the site it has HD ready :confused:
    Does it say "HD Ready 1080p" perchance? As AFAIK, that's the proper way of saying a TV is "Full HD".

byte wrote: »
    I don't know about the Hannspree on offer, but the Hannspree's I've seen before don't work with Aertel Digital (MHEG5) despite there being "MHEG5" written on the front of the box.

Presumably, the MHEG5 functionality works fine for UK Freeview, but not Irish Saorview.

Be interesting if somebody buys this can confirm that this TV works with Aertel Digital, instead of the usual Aertel teletext.

It's a little odd that retailers can't organise an aerial feed to provide potential buyers with an in-store demonstration.

DID asst. manager told me the Hanspree 26" was the only TV' they had with the requisite MHEG5 for digital interactive services.

He said this whilst being surrounded by sets which have successfully passed Saorview certification.

If I were spending €399.00, I'd go for a brand with proven build quality etc.

I'd also buy from Richersounds. No excuse for DID (and others) being so far behind the curve on the basic spec necessary for Saorview compatibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 matchball

I bought the 32" Hannspree TV today in the DID sale. Paid €299 which I'm very happy with. I was looking at different makes and models for the last while but they were all €449+ so I'm pleased with the bargain. It mightn't be the most common brand but it ticks the boxes for me. I don't use the TV for gaming etc just UPC digital and watching DVD's. It has good picture and sound quality and has a swivel base.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

matchball wrote: »
    I bought the 32" Hannspree TV today in the DID sale. Paid €299 which I'm very happy with. I was looking at different makes and models for the last while but they were all €449+ so I'm pleased with the bargain. It mightn't be the most common brand but it ticks the boxes for me. I don't use the TV for gaming etc just UPC digital and watching DVD's. It has good picture and sound quality and has a swivel base.

I bought one in DID today for €249

LG 32LD450 on Amazon for €280.00 delivered.

Saorview/Digital Teletext working perfectly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-32LD450-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003FMSIQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307828939&sr=8-2

Advertisement