Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limping dog

Options
  • 10-06-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭

my poor baba is seriously limping. she is an 8 1/2 yo terrier cross. she has had the odd limp before but nothing like this (probably due to long walks etc before).

she cannot/will not put her right back leg down on the ground at all. she is struggling to do anything, she sits and lies down so gingerly. she cannot get up on the couch, or out the back door properly. and when we go to lift her (gently) to somewhere she obviously wants to be, she tries to run away and hide looking scared, like i think she is afraid we might hurt her or something.

it is so sad to see my poor baba in this state.

anyone had anything similar happen to their dogs, and what was the outcome?

PS we are booked in with the vet for 4:45pm today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like it could be her cruciate ligament if its a hind leg. If so its a long process to recovery mostly with an operation to fix it with a long period of rest, usually a few months to let it heal.

But wait and see what the vet says first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

andreac wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be her cruciate ligament if its a hind leg. If so its a long process to recovery mostly with an operation to fix it with a long period of rest, usually a few months to let it heal.

But wait and see what the vet says first.

jaysus. where is d cruciate ligament in the leg? i am getting the impression off her that is more her hip area giving her the bother rather than the leg, although obviously i cannot tell properly. i can touch her leg without her reacting, but the couple of times i have accidentally touched her hip she has reacted. i don't think there is cuts or anything of that nature (although with her long hair it isn't always easy to see!!) so it is something internal newho.

my mam thinks arthritis is a possibility as she is an older dog and whatnot. i wonder how you care for a dog with arthritis?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If its happened all of a sudden she could have ruptured her cruciate, hence why she cant put her leg to the ground or bear any weight on it.

Doesnt sound like arthritis if its only happened recently and the fact that shes so sore on it all of a sudden.

andreac wrote: »
    If its happened all of a sudden she could have ruptured her cruciate, hence why she cant put her leg to the ground or bear any weight on it.

Doesnt sound like arthritis if its only happened recently and the fact that shes so sore on it all of a sudden.

i know she has limped before on occasion, never for longer than one day, and to the best of my recollection never quite as limpy as she is now. she isn't making too much noise with it, the odd grunt when she is trying to get herself into a more comfy sleeping position.

i am just so concerned for her. it is horrid to see her like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Could be something simple like a shard of glass stuck up he's paw. happens my fella sometimes
    bring him to the vet

• Advertisement

smilerf wrote: »
    Could be something simple like a shard of glass stuck up he's paw. happens my fella sometimes
    bring him to the vet

had a bit of a look and couldn't see anything, but that doesn't mean i missed it.

off to the vets there now in a couple of minutes so we shall c

• Registered Users Posts: 16 annandpeter

Hi - what was the result of the vet visit please. My lab - just 7 months old limps - visited the vet twice but he is reluctant to xray. Does not seem to be any bone problems. Any owners had similar trouble please? I should add that the pup does not seem to be in any discomfort (but hard to tell I suppose). Thanks

had the baba x-rayed. firstly she has severe arthritis in both hips. and her left hip is halfway dislocated. so she is on an NSAID for pain and arthritis stuff, gets a steroid once a month to firm up the muscles (which will hopefully keep the hip from popping completely).

her routine and everything has to be completely changed. she can no longer go on long walks with our other dog. she has to go on several really short ones. she has to have the medication every day for the rest of her life.

one thing my dog loved was to leap up on the back of the couch and look out the window. she is not allowed anymore, especially since if she hears a noise she would jump down. she could completely dislocate her hip that way (and it would be a severe operation [not to mention expensive] if she did, the vet doesn't want to put her through that), so added to the costs associated with her trips to the vet and her medication i now have the cost of buying new furniture. the couch is in the only place in our small living room where it fits, and the only way to stop her getting up there is to remove it completely, so i have to buy some new chairs to re-arrange the room with :(

but i love my baba and i will look after her.

good luck with your pup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 annandpeter

Goodness I am so sorry - but it sounds as if the dog has a loving and caring home. They are such sweet dogs. I'll push the vet a bit more for some action! Thanks for the message

i try my best with her. we all make mistakes and i am sure there were times i could have paid more attention or what not. but i will take care of her now the best i can, make sure she has the best of everything and isn't in pain. tis all i can do.

deffo push the vets more and if necessary go to another for a second opinion. we would as humans so we do the same for our pets :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement