Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Published... After eleven years of hard work.

Options
  • 10-06-2011 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,
    After eleven years of trying to get various novels published I have had some success. I was offered a two book deal with The O'Brien Press recently. Both books are Young Adult and I'm glad to say I receieved my copy of the contract yesterday.

It's a strange feeling to have a publishing contract, expecially because this time last year I'd virtually given up all hope of ever getting published. Over the years I recieved so many rejection letters from agents that I was starting to doubt myself.

I'd just like to say to all the writers out there that they shouldn't give up hope. Follow your dreams and write what excites you! It will pay off in the end.

http://ian-somers.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Congratulations and I wish you well.

The cynic in me, however, is left wondering if you've made a boards.ie account simply as part of some marketing ploy considering this is your first post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Memnoch wrote: »

The cynic in me, however, is left wondering if you've made a boards.ie account simply as part of some marketing ploy considering this is your first post?

Yeah me too, though I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Congratulations, Ian.

Though it would be nice to see someone who has posted here for a while but not published yet get a contract too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Antilles wrote: »
    Yeah me too, though I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Congratulations, Ian.

Though it would be nice to see someone who has posted here for a while but not published yet get a contract too.

In that case....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Fan-bleedin'-tastic!

Be very careful about what you sign at this stage - a literary agent is worth their weight in gold (or at least the 10%-15% commission they usually make!) - for a successful author.

I always remind prospective writers that J.K.Rowling was knocked back by nineteen separate publishers before she eventually had her first novel published.

Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

It does seem like a bit of shameless self-promotion, but what of it, I guess? I read his blog. The guy seems to have worked exceptionally hard for a long time, and he appears to be passionate about literature, and it's paid off.

More power to him. I look forward to reading the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Memnoch wrote: »

The realist in me wonders do you really, really, really think a writer would market a book in such a simple and honest manner...and on boards? And as for the conspiracy theory about a "marketing ploy"? Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Romand

Hi guys,
    No, putting a post up on boards wasn't a marketing ploy. I don't think using writer forums is an efficient way of marketing a book that probably wont hit the shelves until mid-2012. Just thought i'd come on and share the news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Romand wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    No, putting a post up on boards wasn't a marketing ploy. I don't think using writer forums is an efficient way of marketing a book that probably wont hit the shelves until mid-2012. Just thought i'd come on and share the news.

Fair play to you - I think "persist" is the key lesson here.

Do you mind me asking if the contract compensates you sufficiently such that you can give up the day job so to speak?

I imagine it's unlikely a first timer would get a hefty pay cheque, let us know, a scanned copy of the contract shall suffice ;)

Only messing, just a general idea of if you can live off the bounty forthcoming from the publishing company or are you perhaps just satisfied to be published at all and the money isn't necessarily a significant motivating factor for you? (until you next deal at least ;))

donfers wrote: »
    Fair play to you - I think "persist" is the key lesson here.

Do you mind me asking if the contract compensates you sufficiently such that you can give up the day job so to speak?

I imagine it's unlikely a first timer would get a hefty pay cheque, let us know, a scanned copy of the contract shall suffice ;)

Only messing, just a general idea of if you can live off the bounty forthcoming from the publishing company or are you perhaps just satisfied to be published at all and the money isn't necessarily a significant motivating factor for you? (until you next deal at least ;))

No, the advance wasn't enough to give up the dayjob. From time to time you'll hear about first time authors getting massive advances but it's certainly not the norm.
    Money wasn't what motivated me anyway, I think if you're after money, you are destined to fail.
    I got a two book deal and I'm just hoping both books do well and I earn a nice bit on the royalties and rights. And of course I hope to get better advances for future contracts.

I believe the general rule is that you need to have six books in print before you can think about giving up the day job.

Typical royalties for a first time author are around 8% (if the OP is getting more than that, congratulations) and 3000 sales is considered good for an unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Very well done Romand. Glad to see hard work and persistance paying off, also good to see that it is possible to catch the eye of the Irish publishers with first time fiction. Everyone has 1001 reasons to turn a manuscript down - congrats on getting through it and coming out with a contract.

EileenG wrote: »
    I believe the general rule is that you need to have six books in print before you can think about giving up the day job.

Typical royalties for a first time author are around 8% (if the OP is getting more than that, congratulations) and 3000 sales is considered good for an unknown.

I don’t think this is necessarily true, Eileen. Some authors will never be able to give up the day job, others will get that opportunity after only a couple of books. It largely depends on the author and how well his/her books sell.

Obviously, there will be exceptions, like the people who sign six figure book deals. But they make the news because they are exceptions. Most of us are not the second JK Rowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Congrats. Keep up the blog too.

Actually on that, how do you find it compares to writing (ie does it get in the way). Also do you read/can you recommend other useful writing blogs?

(I'm considering starting one myself but I think I'd get bored of it quickly)

silvine wrote: »
    Congrats. Keep up the blog too.

Actually on that, how do you find it compares to writing (ie does it get in the way). Also do you read/can you recommend other useful writing blogs?

(I'm considering starting one myself but I think I'd get bored of it quickly)

Hi Silvine,
    It certainly doesn't get in the way of my writing. I actually find it helps to "talk" about the writing process, because it can be a lonely craft at times.
    I've come across hundreds of writing blogs, some better than others, but you'll find a lot of helpful tips and information in the blogosphere. I've been following Amanda Hocking's for a while, simply because I find her own story amazing.
    You might get bored with blogging very quickly but you won't know until you try. :)

Advertisement