Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyweights coming to the UFC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Excellent news, loved the WEC with the likes of Torres, Faber, Aldo etc... much faster than the heavier fighters.

Johnson won't move down until he gets a shot at either Faber/Cruz imo. He's on a bit of a tear recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 horsey24787

Johnson won't move down until he gets a shot at either Faber/Cruz imo. He's on a bit of a tear recently.

He might if he's given the first shot at the flyweight title. He's one of the top 2 who would go down to flyweight.

He might if he's given the first shot at the flyweight title. He's one of the top 2 who would go down to flyweight.

I reckon he could beat Benavidez too. Assuming that's the second guy you're talking about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Will they look to buy out the Tachi contracts? Or how else are they going to create a roster. Could possibly do a 125 season of TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Diab Soule

Xlami wrote: »
    Will they look to buy out the Tachi contracts? Or how else are they going to create a roster. Could possibly do a 125 season of TUF.

Good point. Benavidez, Johnson etc will be in no hurry to move down if there are no opponents for them to fight.

Because the UFC is saying they are bringing in a Flyweight division I think you will see alot more guys willing to fight in that weight class from now on, so it should not take to long for them to build the division but it will take a while for them to expose them to the casual fan's.

d_jordan wrote: »
    Because the UFC is saying they are bringing in a Flyweight division I think you will see alot more guys willing to fight in that weight class from now on, so it should not take to long for them to build the division but it will take a while for them to expose them to the casual fan's.

True that.
    I much prefer the lighter weightclasses. Fighters like Benavidez, Torres, Johnson, Faber and Aldo come out to fight every time. Even a wrestler like Mighty mouse is exciting to casual fans because of the speed of his takedowns. Heavyweight fights aren't as exciting anymore so the lighter weights are capitalising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

True that.
    I much prefer the lighter weightclasses. Fighters like Benavidez, Torres, Johnson, Faber and Aldo come out to fight every time. Even a wrestler like Mighty mouse is exciting to casual fans because of the speed of his takedowns. Heavyweight fights aren't as exciting anymore so the lighter weights are capitalising.

Agree with you Mighty Mouse puts on a show that will always entertain fans but he could never headline a card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 TheDudeIsHere

Cant wait!!!

As MMA expands there is a chance of alot of thai guys crossing over in that division as it is a huge weightclass in thailand.

Bring on more fighter's like M16!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 angryangel

Out of general interest, what is the next weight down from fly? I recall of a Straw-weight/Roosterweight 115lb but can't remember if that actually existed or was just being discussed amongst people? Would there be fighters for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

angryangel wrote: »
    Out of general interest, what is the next weight down from fly? I recall of a Straw-weight/Roosterweight 115lb but can't remember if that actually existed or was just being discussed amongst people? Would there be fighters for this?

From Wiki:
    The Strawweight (also referred to as minimumweight or mini flyweight) division in mixed martial arts generally refers to competitors weighing 115 lb (52 kg) or less.
    In boxing, the strawweight division is 105 lb (47.6 kg) or less.
    The strawweight division in mixed martial arts is not defined by the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts as it groups all competitors below 125 lb (57 kg) together.[1] Thus, the division is rarely used in the United States and is sparsely used in most MMA promotions.
    A notable exception is Shooto, which regularly holds contests at that weight class and circulate a championship belt for that division.[2]

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

baz2009 wrote: »
    From Wiki:
    which means there is no division below 125

Advertisement