Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nick Diaz vacates the Strikeforce title!

Options
  • 10-06-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/6/9/2216240/nick-diaz-vacates-strikeforce-welterweight-title

So much for "business as usual". So while Diaz does have a contract for both organisations, Gracie was right in saying that the only way he will return to SF is if he loses in the UFC.

Does this all just represent a loophole that the UFC have figured out to get the cream of SF over to the UFC without actually breaking their SF contracts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I can see UFC taking the cream of the StrikeForce roster over the next 12-18 months or so, leaving StrikeForce as just a training ground for up and coming youngsters and journeymen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

If it means we get to see the best fighters face each other than so be it.

Titles and greed ruined boxing.

If it means we get to see the best fighters face each other than so be it.

Titles and greed ruined boxing.

Yeah, agree with that, Boxing just got ridiculous, 4/5 differnt titles for each weight andthe different bdies constantly refusing to let there champ fight another bodies champ.

The way it's going pretty soon the UFC will be the only organisation where the top guys will be fighting, unsure if that's good thing or a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, agree with that, Boxing just got ridiculous, 4/5 differnt titles for each weight andthe different bdies constantly refusing to let there champ fight another bodies champ.

The way it's going pretty soon the UFC will be the only organisation where the top guys will be fighting, unsure if that's good thing or a bad thing.

Great for fans, possibly bad for fighters.

Ush1 wrote: »

I don't think so anyway. I saw a great article after TUF 13 finale, basically pondering the question if Chris Cope/Ramsey Nijem would be ready for a UFC contract. The article went on to say that these TUF alumni should all be put under the Strikeforce banner where people would recognise them and they would get some nice fights without being in the deep end of the UFC and they'd still be under contract with Zuffa.

Think about it, if guys from previous TUF comps were in Strikeforce people would have some more names to recognise on their roster. Guys like Gerald Harris and Vinny Magalhaes would have decent runs in the Light Heavyweight division of Strikeforce against guys like Jardine, Musashi and King Mo.
    A lot of guys that get UFC coverage and have been cut from the bloated roster could fill the ranks and make some exciting fights on Strikeforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

different bdies constantly refusing to let there champ fight another bodies champ.

That isn't really correct, it is more to do with the fighters demands which cause stop gaps from making big fights. It is extremely rare that a governing body would refuse one of their champs to fight another.

I'm ashamed to say that when Dana the spoof-artist said he wasn't going to steal SF fighters I actually thought it wouldn't happen for a year or so. I think it is fairly safe to say that their organisation will be gone in 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I think your mixing up MMA with Boxing, For years there where champions in multiple organisations in MMA who could not face each other, In Boxing the title you hold don't own you and you can fight for any of the main titles, you can become the undisputed champ and win all the titles unlike in MMA.

Now thats not to say the best always meet or the best always hold titles but lets get our facts straight-in theory the best can meet each other in Boxing, this is not the case in MMA just yet.

And never will be while fighters are tied to 1 organisation.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't think so anyway. I saw a great article after TUF 13 finale, basically pondering the question if Chris Cope/Ramsey Nijem would be ready for a UFC contract. The article went on to say that these TUF alumni should all be put under the Strikeforce banner where people would recognise them and they would get some nice fights without being in the deep end of the UFC and they'd still be under contract with Zuffa.

Think about it, if guys from previous TUF comps were in Strikeforce people would have some more names to recognise on their roster. Guys like Gerald Harris and Vinny Magalhaes would have decent runs in the Light Heavyweight division of Strikeforce against guys like Jardine, Musashi and King Mo.
    A lot of guys that get UFC coverage and have been cut from the bloated roster could fill the ranks and make some exciting fights on Strikeforce.

But that's assuming the UFC won't just take the best fighters and wind up Strikeforce.

There will always be other promos but it's just a case of will there ever be another that could possibly attract top talent?

If guys who were on TUF want to leave and fight at a lower level there will always be another promo to go to(Bellator, etc..). If they get battered in the UFC, they will be dropped and there's always another promo to go to.

The problem for the top fighters is that they will have no leverage with contracts as there will be nowhere that can pay like the UFC.

The great thing for fans is that there is no question where the best fighters will be and no problem for them to fight each other.

Ush1 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that many times over the years a boxer has had to give up his title with 1 organisation to fight the champ of another org because the body where he held the belt insisted that he fight their number 1 contender. Correct me if I'm wrong

Advertisement