Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain biking in Ticknock

Options
  • 10-06-2011 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Folks, thinking of heading out there the wknd, is it difficult? Can you hire the bikes out there? what time can you start at? cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

cottager83 wrote: »
    Folks, thinking of heading out there the wknd, is it difficult? Can you hire the bikes out there? what time can you start at? cheers!

Hi, cottager. I'm not a mountain biker, so I don't know about bike hire, but I know Ticknock fairly well and the new mountain biking track there is open to anyone at anytime. It's just a track along the hillside and then through the woods.

When it opened, I did hear someone on the radio talking about bike hire and I'm pretty sure it was these guys, but I've never used them so I've no idea about quality, etc.

You could also ask on the cycling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

Cheers thanks a million for the reply. Ya i will give them a buzz later on. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

If you can get to Ballinastoe you would have a much better spin - that and the www.biking.ie folks are based right beside it.

The new official trail in Ticknock is grand, bit of a slog to the top, you need to take it easy on the first stretch if you are a beginner as the character of the trail changes once you gather a bit of speed and you could end up getting more air than planned with limited run off options!

The second stretch is more technical but a nice spin that is more representative of MTB in general. Ticknock tends to be very busy.

Ballinastoe gives you more of a balanced mix with ten or eleven separate proper trails that make a very nice loop that you can shorten or lengthen as you need based on time and available energy!

It is worth booking a lesson along with the bike hire at some stage, this will get you well up to speed (literally) as well as getting started with the right technique - much less painful than unlearning them later!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fonkalei

this site has some info on the new track & bike hire:

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/recreation_sites/ticknock_mtb_trails/

Advertisement