Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need work advice!!!

Options
  • 10-06-2011 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Everyone

Im completely new to boards and im desperate to collect some advice or info about what i should do next. Basically to cut a long story short i work in a job where im going nowhere. Favourtism is a huge thing where i work and its not about what you know but who you know. Im working there two years and was assigned to possibly the worst part of the factory. During this time i have asked several times to be moved or trained in other areas, but to my dismay others have been employed and moved straight into the areas where ive asked to be trained. Ive become disillusioned with life in the facility. Its come to breaking point in my mind and i am considering leaving the job due to unhappiness and to keep me from going insane. The guys who have been employed after me also are great friends with management....friends,nephews etc. Would i be mad to leave given the current state of employment opportunuties or is mental well being more important........Any advice would be great!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

That's annoying alright OP. If you feel that its really not going to get better for you, then I'd say leave the job. But make sure you have something lined up before you pack in your current job. As you say yourself, there isn't too many jobs out there and any ones that are going are probably going to have approx. 10 entrants to every 1 open position.

If you are leaving because of favouritism and that kind of carry-on, then I'd say stay where you are. Favouritism/cronyism happens nearly everywhere and if you leave this job because of that reason, then you could find yourself in the very same position in a few months/years time.

I was in more or less the same mindset as yourself a few years ago - getting annoyed seeing lickárses getting rewarded for doing damn all except being great buddies with the manager or supervisor or whoever was in charge. But I kept at my work and tried not to let it bother me. After a while I found that if you done your job to the best of your abilities then the truth will win out. Many of these lads that I was complaining about were eventually let go while I am still working in the place today.

My advice, for what its worth, is stick it out for a while and if things don't change start looking for a job elsewhere while still keeping your existing job. I'm guessing you have some bills to pay as well. At least with your current job, that will be one less thing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LiamKM

Thanks kojak for quick reply. I see what your saying and logic would tell me stay in the job until something else is lined up. I'm actively looking for something else but it's soul destroying seeing what's going on. My head is saying stay but my heart is saying get out now before i crack up. I even approached my supervisor with my " theory " and was told I'm imagining it. When I asked about being trained in a different area his reply was " your Fu**in annoying me by asking. Which I then replied it's not wrong or annoying to show an interest in bettering myself within the company. To see 8 people start after myself and not get assigned to the same area as me but to somewhat cushy numbers makes my blood boil to the point I've wanted to walk straight into management and quit but your right in assuming bills etc have stopped me taking this action. Maybe god will help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 opalsphere

I understand that it is terrible for you. Most of us have felt at some point that certain colleagues should be wearing a 'Sycophancy Pays' sash. The key to survival in this situation is not to take it personally. If you do, then it will be detrimental to your mental health, paranoia will set in and you will become unemployable. Hang in there, and keep looking for other employment opportunities with different companies. Remember (1) It is easier to find a job when you already have one (2) You may be reliant on your current employer for a reference.

Wishing you the very best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LiamKM

Thanks for reply. I wouldnt say its a case of paranoia because alot maybe 80% of my co-workers agree that this is happening. Problem is that it has already had a detrimental effect on my mind and my day to day thinking process. I know a huge percentage of people dont like their jobs and dont want to go to work but i really have to drag myself out the door to work in this envoirment. The key thing here i feel is that progression is non existent unless your sucking up to management/supervisor. Im not afraid of hard work and i am eager to learn but dont get the chance. I hope i can ride out the storm and get my head focused on what i should do rather than what i want to do. :rolleyes:

Advertisement