Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beatles conspiracy...did they cover the death up.?

Options
  • 10-06-2011 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm not one for believing these conspiracy theories but this one has so much background information its almost believable! Im not saying I do believe it,in fact it probably would not have been possible, I just found it so shocking that there was so many "clues" backing up the conspiracy.

Take a look....

1. Paul mccartney (1942-1966?)
    paul-mccartney-organ.jpg

In October of 1969, three weeks after the Beatles' celebrated Abbey Road album was released, WKNR-FM's Russ Gibb took a call from a man who identified himself only as "Tom." The Detroit deejay listened as the caller carefully laid out clues hidden in Beatles' songs and album art, which he said indicated Paul McCartney had died on November 9, 1966, in an automobile accident. Listeners began deluging New York City radio stations with "evidence" and soon the rumor spread around the world. Was this a Beatles' publicity stunt, a fan feeding-frenzy fueled by clues left as an inside joke by John Lennon—or was Paul really dead?

2. How paul allegedly died.

Piecing together clues from songs, films and album covers, conspiracy buffs have come up with this scenario: During the early-morning hours of November 9, 1966, Paul argued with his bandmates in the studio while recording songs for their Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. He left in a huff just before 5 a.m. While driving to a friend's house, Paul picked up a female hitchhiker who couldn't control her excitement when she realized who was behind the wheel. She lunged to hug Paul, causing him to lose control of his Aston Martin. It smashed into a stone fence and burst into flames, killing them both. Paul was decapitated and burnt to a crisp, making a positive ID difficult. Despite no evidence to support either the story of the fatal crash or of a cover-up, the rumors persisted

3. The need for a cover up.

The theory of why a cover-up of Paul's alleged death was necessary goes something like this: Because of all the money the Beatles contributed to England's tax coffers, their continued success was vital to the financial health of the nation. So the British government, in cahoots with the surviving members of the Beatles, their producer George Martin, manager Brian Epstein (pictured above), recording engineer Geoff Emerick and road manager Mal Evans, conspired to cover-up Paul's death. It was speculated that in return they were given a huge sum of money and guaranteed success in whatever future endeavors they engaged.

4.The "real paul"??
    In order for McCartney's death to be kept under wraps, the Beatles would need a look-alike to sub for him. It's said they found the perfect candidate in an actor named William Shears Campbell, the winner of a McCartney look-alike contest who resembled the singer so much that he was supposedly on the Beatles' payroll as a stand-in to throw off fans and the press. The name may ring a bell from the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" lyric on the album of the same name: "So let me introduce to you / The one and only Billy Shears / And Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." Pictured: Paul and his double—or Paul doubled?

5.mccartney-album.jpg
    Around the time these rumors started, the Beatles were in the midst of breaking up and Paul—along with his wife, Linda Eastman, and their children—retreated to a farm on the isolated Scottish peninsula of Kintyre. There Paul recorded his first solo album, McCartney. Oddly, the cover of the album shows cherries scattered among a white rectangle (possibly representing a road) and a white bowl half filled with cherry juice (which could be blood). Once the rumor of Paul's death started, it spread rapidly, thanks to other "clues" fans seemed to find in every picture and recording by the Beatles. The following are prime examples...

6. SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND CLUES

sgt-peppers-album.jpg
    The cover of the groundbreaking album, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, has multiple indications that Paul McCartney may not have survived. The Beatles, wearing their new hippy attire, stand in the middle of the cover overlooking what appears to be a flower-covered grave. To their right are wax mannequins—borrowed from Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum—of the younger Beatles sadly looking down toward the "grave."

7.THE DRUMHEAD-REFLECTION CIPHER
    sgt-peppers-drum.jpg
    The ornate drumhead in the center of the cover that says "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" may be the most deliberate clue of all. When you hold a straight-edge mirror perpendicular to the center of the drum, in the middle of the words "Lonely Hearts," the reflection reads, I ONE IX HE ♦ DIE ("One one nine he die," or November 9 he die). The diamond points to McCartney.

8.A RETOUCHED PHOTO OF "PAUL"?
    sgt-peppers-inside.jpg
    A mustachioed Paul (perhaps a double hiding plastic-surgery scars) has a patch on his left arm with the initials, "OPD," which could be an acronym for Officially Pronounced Dead. In the November 7, 1969, Life interview meant to address the death rumors, Paul (or his double) explained, "It is all bloody stupid. I picked up that OPD badge in Canada. It was a police badge. Perhaps it means Ontario Police Department or something." Hardcore conspiracy theorists maintain that the photo was retouched to make the imposter look more like McCartney.

9. BACK COVER CLUES
    pointing.jpg
    The Beatles stand together against a vivid red background, representing blood, with the album's song lyrics superimposed over the photo. Paul stands with his back to the camera, as if he does not want to be closely examined, while Harrison's thumb points to the opening line of the "She's Leaving Home" lyric that reads: "Wednesday morning at five o'clock as the day begins..." November 9, 1966, was a Wednesday and 5 a.m. was the purported time of McCartney's car crash.

10. The Fab Three
    love-the-33%20copy.jpg
    In the Magical Mystery Tour film, as the group performs "I Am the Walrus," Paul in stocking feet stands next to an empty pair of blood-spattered shoes and the drumhead reads "Love the 3 Beatles" (implying, perhaps, that there were only three surviving members of the group).

11. John: The walrus was paul...
    glass-onion.jpg
    On the album, The Beatles, which has come to be known as the White Album thanks to its white-on-white cover, John sings a song he wrote called "Glass Onion," an unambiguous line from which states: "And here's another clue for you all: / The walrus was Paul."

12.Backmasking
    John Lennon began experimenting with backmasking (adding backward voices and music) in earnest on the White Album. When played backward, one of the songs, "Revolution 9," contains a voice that seems to say, "Turn me on, dead man" several times. And "Paul is a dead man, miss him, miss him, miss him" is heard on the "I'm So Tired" track.

13.Let it belet-it-be-album.jpg
    Let It Be was the second-to-last Beatles album to be recorded, but the last to be released. On the cover, Paul is the only Beatle whose face is partially obscured (by a microphone). He is also the only one not photographed in profile and with a white background. Paul's background is blood red.

14.Dressed for death
    abbey-road.jpg
    On the cover of the last album that the Beatles recorded, Abbey Road, the band is photographed crossing Abbey Road in London, outside of British music company EMI's Abbey Road Recording Studios. Paul is out of step with the other Beatles, barefoot and with his eyes closed. In many countries, including England, bodies are buried shoeless. Also, the way that the Beatles are dressed on the cover is said to have this meaning:
    Lennon in white - the preacher
    Starr in black - the undertaker
    "McCartney" in a suit and barefoot - the corpse
    Harrison in blue jeans and work shirt - the grave digger
    15.IF
    28if.jpg
    In the background on the Abbey Road cover is a Volkswagen with the possibly cryptic message, "28 IF," on its license plate. Proponents of the Paul-is-dead school take this to mean that had Paul McCartney lived, he would have been 28 years old. Life magazine quoted Paul (the real one or the substitute?) as explaining, "On Abbey Road we were wearing our ordinary clothes. I was walking barefoot because it was a hot day. The Volkswagen just happened to be parked there."

16.maxwell

The theory continues: An officer—known only as "Maxwell" from British intelligence unit MI5—was assigned to keep an eye on the group to make sure that they kept their mouths shut about the tragedy. The song, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," on the Abbey Road album, refers to Maxwell and his license to kill. This is one of many examples of a Beatles' lyric being employed in the service of the conspiracy theory.

17.MAXWELL AND THE JOHN LENNON MURDER
    john-lennon-newspaper.jpg
    Conspiracy lore says that in 1980, John Lennon was about to make public the cover-up of Paul's death when he was assassinated by Mark David Chapman—and that Chapman was hypnotized and conditioned to kill Lennon by MI5's Maxwell.

So what do you all think? could this actually be possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Ah this old gem, not a hope in hell it's true.
    Thoroughly entertaining though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Very interesting, But I think its their own doing, A private joke amongst the lot of them maybe,

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mistyeyes321

I have never heard this before quite interesting read & can see the point's you make are there...However I think Paul is alive & Kicking!
    Beatles was never one of my favourite Group's tbh I always thought they we're very overated & still do...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I have heard before that Paul, or the original Paul if you like, was against those behind the scenes who were turning the Beatles into advocates for the drug culture by 1966.

Before Revolver, the songs mainly focused on nothing more than loving a girl.

Hence the major reason for the death theory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Yes it is all rather silly.

If a band member dies, they (and the band) generally generate even more revenue due to the aura and myth surrounding the deceased. No need to cover it up. While the Beatles were undoubtedly one of the biggest acts in history, other monsters of rock and various super-groups suffered the death of a member and carried on to even greater success with a legitimate replacement..The Who, The Stones, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, to name a few

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Lol this is one I haven't heard in a LONG time.

But really if Paul died 45 years ago it would've leaked by now.

You would think there would be peoples who knew the imposter and who would expose the rumour.

It would need to be more than just The Beatles, their manager and their production team to keep a lie under wraps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

how do you explain the music he's done since the beatles,its possible to get someone to look like him but how do you replicate the sound of his voice

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

mr lee wrote: »
    how do you explain the music he's done since the beatles,its possible to get someone to look like him but how do you replicate the sound of his voice

I thought you were getting at how **** his other work has been since The Beatles and I was thinking '****, he might be onto something here!'. Then I read the rest of the post.

Yeah, one of the more ridiculous CTs.

Boo Radley wrote: »
    I thought you were getting at how **** his other work has been since The Beatles and I was thinking '****, he might be onto something here!'. Then I read the rest of the post.

Yeah, one of the more ridiculous CTs.

Lol yeah that would've been a good point.

But yeah truly ridiculous it is, why not say Elvis is still alive and see how many people will believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Very entertaining, but there really is nothing of substance there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

This is a great example of what happens when you start with an agenda (Paul died in 1966, The Queen is a lizard, HAARP causes earthquakes) and then look in great detail for coincidences, inconsistencies, anything at all that you turn into 'evidence' for your claim. You can make stuff up, and people without the knowledge that the claim is bunk will accept it and add it to the 'case'. A great example here is:
    In many countries, including England, bodies are buried shoeless.
    Total balls. But most Yanks (where this conspiracy, like so many others, was dreamt up) would not know that, so the average Yank who is inclined to believe this CT will add that claim to his 'odd facts I know about England' collection and accept the claim made by the CT, resulting in more 'evidence' for his belief.

This CT should really serve as a lesson - if you look hard enough for evidence of something, you will always find it at a level that satisfies you (even if it doesn't satisfy others).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

there's a really indepth article on it here

http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=9

well worth a read!
    Paul's stand-in was a man named William Campbell, who had won a Paul McCartney lookalike contest. With a little plastic surgery, William Campbell had taken Paul's place in photos of the group. The surgery had been successful except for a small scar above his lip. And, as luck would have it, William Campbell could also sing and just happened to be a songwriter with an exceptional ear for pop melodies.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Boo Radley wrote: »
    I thought you were getting at how **** his other work has been since The Beatles and I was thinking '****, he might be onto something here!'

Yeah, but going by the dates, the replacement would have gone on to write "Eleanor Rigby", so either way, the mystery of the **** career remains unsolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

We'd all love to beleive this was true but its bullcrap really.

jimbob86 wrote: »
    We'd all love to beleive this was true but its bullcrap really.

Why would anyone want Paul dead?

Have to agree with a previous poster I'm just a mediocre Beatles fan myself but hell with MJ gone and Elvis 35 years ago.

We need some legends still alive and McCartney is one of those who touched all of our lives in some way or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

karaokeman wrote: »

Have to agree with a previous poster I'm just a mediocur Beatles fan myself but hell with MJ gone and Elvis 35 years ago.

We need some legends still alive and McCartney is one of those who touched all of our lives in some way or other.
    That's not really a good argument for the CT to be true or not though, is it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A microphone covering part of his face on the let it be album cover is somehow proof that he died! Ridiculous!
    George was wearing red on Sgt Pepper album, he must have died too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

karaokeman wrote: »

Have to agree with a previous poster I'm just a mediocur Beatles fan myself but hell with MJ gone and Elvis 35 years ago.

Not sayin i wish paul was dead,i love the beatles....but people love things like this be cause it gives them something to ponder about.I actually think if it was true it would be worth Macca being dead just because they pulled it off! but of coarse its not true.

Advertisement