Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cool my set-up with some PC fans?

Options
  • 10-06-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hey all,

Very random question here but have any of you got any idea how to wire a couple of 12x12cm fans into a regular socket to help keep my set-up cool?

I'm tight for space and have to leave the doors of my cupboard open when watching movies/playing xbox in case it overheats!

wbthd4.jpg

Not sure what else I can do to improve ventilation other than a few fans!

Cheers,

M

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

what fans are you looking at? answer will depend hugely on what input voltage the fans need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

forget fans: what you have to do is remove each shelf and cut about >1 inch off the back of each one. or else drill lots of 2inch holes in the shelves.
    but you must make the same holes in the top and bottom of the cabinet.

failing that, bang out the back panel of the cabinet and pull it a little away from the wall ;)

How do your remotes work ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

whizbang wrote: »
    forget fans: what you have to do is remove each shelf and cut about >1 inch off the back of each one. or else drill lots of 2inch holes in the shelves.
    but you must make the same holes in the top and bottom of the cabinet.

failing that, bang out the back panel of the cabinet and pull it a little away from the wall ;)

How do your remotes work ?

if holes like that would work, pc's would just never need a fan, they could do with vents. you need airflow to cool things, just drilling holes will help a little but will do more to heat the shelf above than drop the temp in the area of interest. raising the shelf above would help more than a couple of 2 inch holes, which will help but not enough

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

old pc fans with a multi volt adapter always on or you can wire in a simple switch into it.

One thing to watch is noise its wise to get some rubber mounts to minimise vibration I did this in a few preses where electronics were kept.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

whizbang wrote: »
    forget fans: bang out the back panel of the cabinet and pull it a little away from the wall ;)

That's your answer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
Advertisement