Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Fishing

Options
  • 09-06-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I wanted to start this thread so people that wanted to start fishing in the canal can find all the information they need to get started because I know what it is like trying to start off from scratch.

People who already fish in the canal can also (if desired) share information with trusted freinds through PM.

Any general information or questions about the canal is also welcome.

If you are unsure about something just ask and i will try my best to help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭MacheteElbows

are you aloud to use dead bait like roach etc. to catch pike. I dont really target pike but im thinking about it and want to know a good way to get them other then spinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Had a 18lb pike on a wobbled dead roach along Abbeystrule a couple of years ago but i hear the water has been distroyed by those who like to eat everything they catch. :rolleyes: Wobbled dead baits do catch fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Had a 18lb pike on a wobbled dead roach along Abbeystrule a couple of years ago but i hear the water has been distroyed by those who like to eat everything they catch. :rolleyes: Wobbled dead baits do catch fish.
    i think they are the most effective bait for pike. i've had many a day with over 10 pike to wobbled dead baits.

thanks mate' will give it a go. i have seen some monster pike lately and imm dyin to catch one.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

I've only recently started to try and get back into a bit of fishing on the Royal Canal.

About 8-10 years ago at this stage when I was a young lad I used to know every inch of every stretch between Mullingar and Killucan general area. It used to great craic in the summer, there was always loads of lads from England over fishing and camping and they were good fun to chat to and learn stuff off. Tench were always the target. My biggest was just under 5lb, nothing special but one I'm still pleased with.

Then it kind of died off for me as other things came up and the fishing deteriorated due to the new type of fishermen who arrived and started to keep everything they caught. I lost all confidence in it and didn't go again for years really.

Does anyone know if it's picked up again at all in that area. Me and a few mates have got a few ok hybrids to about 2lb lately but no sign of a Tench yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fergiesfav

There are some spots on the Royal Canal still fishing well. We all know the foreigners done a lot of damage but from what I've noticed poaching has decreased, and is no longer the problem it was. Sure the big fish are a lot scarcer than they were 10 years ago but theres still good fishing to be had, on both canals.

fergiesfav wrote: »
    There are some spots on the Royal Canal still fishing well. We all know the foreigners done a lot of damage but from what I've noticed poaching has decreased, and is no longer the problem it was. Sure the big fish are a lot scarcer than they were 10 years ago but theres still good fishing to be had, on both canals.

yeah its no longer as bad but i saw a chap throwing live fish into a bag and keeping them yesterday . wat should you do when you see this?

sorry bou the quality. jus a fish ii got.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fergiesfav

yeah its no longer as bad but i saw a chap throwing live fish into a bag and keeping them yesterday . wat should you do when you see this?

I think the fisheries board have an emergency number to ring to report poaching

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

There is a 24 hour number for reporting poaching to Inland Fisheries Ireland. 1890 3474 24

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press-releases/24-hour-phone-service.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

hmm...I would hav a few choice words to say first :mad:

did anyone have any look lately with tench, They are getting very scarce and i havnt got one in a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Threaten him with your...MacheteElbows :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

im livin in dublin and i dont really know where to fish on the canal id love to know where to go pike fishing on the canal but ive heard alot of the good spots have been destroyed by certain internationals!!! but where is it best to go after pike on the canal for pike and even decent size perch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

.... but where is it best to go after pike on the canal for pike and even decent size perch

You are welcome to ask of course
    but .....
    if anyone answers that question in a public internet forum, they either need their head examined
    or
    their information is designed to mislead those who attempt to use it.
    so why bother asking if you see what I mean?

I am not sure what happened to fishing and finding out, but only those who learn that way also learn to protect their discovered treasures so they can continue to enjoy them over a prolonged time. Those anglers catch a lot of big fish because they keep it quiet, and their silence is proof of their angling knowledge. Frustrating for the newbie wanting it handed out, but true.

It sounds funny, but logical if you think it through, but anytime an experienced angler hands down knowledge to a junior (in expertise) angler - that knowledge, being easy earned has a low value, and gets spread around.
    The reason is always the same: the junior angler is unable to stop themselves from bragging to others to show how good they have become, they are proud of the new results, need to get praise from someone, and they always talk.
    The important lesson they have not learned is of course how to stay schtum. And when their spot is raided and emptied, what happens? You guessed it. Their results return downwards to what they were before.
    It's called caring for your special places. it is an angling lesson. We all learn it sometime.
    Sometimes an experienced angler will deliberately give a location to a junior knowing what will happen, and knowing the lesson that will be learned from what follows.
    We do that in places that are waning, with old fish and few new growers coming through in the local fish population. An accellerated end to that particular place costs little, but teaches much.

i was askin where to go because the forum said any questions to ask so i asked. anglers can have their secret spots but surely someone could tell me where to start off thats an ok spot.im not asking for their secret spots but just any spot i have places that i would never tell anyone about on certain rivers and lakes but fishing the canal would bring back a few childhood memories and the places i used to fish are now dead water thats why i asked. and i may be young enough but im not a junior angler ive fished pretty much all my life since i was very young and ive seen some great rivers and lakes destroyed and the canal included so thats why i asked

For the canal I suggest: find cover, rake, prebait, arrive early, leave early, don't be seen or leave tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

put in time if you are really interested and you'll find the spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

is this a micktake? start a thread about royal as if you know it well and want to help people, stating that youll answer any qs, then state can you use roach as bait, then ask what to do if see poachers, then ask about tench and that there numbers have decreased. if your such an expert on the royal and know how to answer all the questions, why do you know jack about it? in my opinion your fishin for info for yourself, muncher perhaps? prove me wrong by all means, your statements just dont add up...

delsalmon wrote: »
    is this a micktake? start a thread about royal as if you know it well and want to help people, stating that youll answer any qs, then state can you use roach as bait, then ask what to do if see poachers, then ask about tench and that there numbers have decreased. if your such an expert on the royal and know how to answer all the questions, why do you know jack about it? in my opinion your fishin for info for yourself, muncher perhaps? prove me wrong by all means, your statements just dont add up...
    thank you man you understand what i mean they said ask questions and when i do they turn me down so whats the point in asking im only asking about pike fishing and where to go for them

• Advertisement

An angler who asks "How?" is trying to improve himself and develop his skills.

An angler who asks "Where?" is looking for something for nothing and has demonstrated he is not to be indulged with the answer to that particular question. Though he might still be a straight up guy on other matters. He might not.

"Where?" is an improper question to ask of a better angler, unless he offers you first.
    The asking of it also contains a statement about the asker that he hears loud and clear. It brings back to mind several painful lessons learned from past experience.

So you are welcome to ask anything. But certain questions will only be answered by novices. We are generous but not foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Think this thread has run it's course.
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement