Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aamer again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Okay I am not for one second condoning what he did....

But the lad is only 19....he's made a huge mistake bowling no balls to order last year (no doubt influenced by his more well-educated senior team mates)....I guess he is just dying to do the one thing in life he is good at...that is playing cricket

I hope the morons who run the ICC don't adopt a 'holier than thou' attitude and punish him further by lengthening his ban

A strict warning should suffice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Of course he and the club understood the concept of a total ban in ANY involvement in cricket at ANY level. They should just start the five year period again from the day he last played. You can't give someone a ban and not enforce it. The club should be ashamed of themselves, although I doubt they just rang him up on the off chance, I presume someone approached them on Aamers behalf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Listening to the SwitchHit/cricinfo podcast there, they were saying he had played a similar game while under this ban in Pakistan? It's a shame for such a great bowler, but if that's true, how many chances can you give him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

dfx- wrote: »
    Listening to the SwitchHit/cricinfo podcast there, they were saying he had played a similar game while under this ban in Pakistan? It's a shame for such a great bowler, but if that's true, how many chances can you give him?

I didn't realise he had done that before.....If he had been warned before and he's done it again depsite that I think the ICC will throw the book at him....I'd say they will give him 7 years....he'll still be only 26

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

dfx- wrote: »

That turned out to be a non-competitive game for a side not affiliated to the PCB, so that was ok.

This current situation is a lot more murky - I reckon someone in the club tried to pull a fast one. I'd love to know what name was put on the teamsheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

TrueDub wrote: »
    That turned out to be a non-competitive game for a side not affiliated to the PCB, so that was ok.

This current situation is a lot more murky - I reckon someone in the club tried to pull a fast one. I'd love to know what name was put on the teamsheet.

well given the scorecard has his name on it and the club has come out with a statement saying they rang their competition secretary to ask could he play. The secretary also happened to be a member of the opposing team so it appears to be more stupidity and incompetence rather than genuinely somebody trying to pull a fast one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

D3PO wrote: »
    well given the scorecard has his name on it and the club has come out with a statement saying they rang their competition secretary to ask could he play. The secretary also happened to be a member of the opposing team so it appears to be more stupidity and incompetence rather than genuinely somebody trying to pull a fast one

Fair enough, didn't know that. I suspected he was parachuted in under a pseudonym to strengthen the side.

It sounds like the club & competition have a case to answer too, though.

Advertisement