Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roddy Doyle's Family (2 Disc DVD - Pre-order) - €15 delivered [Zavvi]

Options
  • 09-06-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭

This is as much a notification as it is a Bargain Alert (as this price is the best price available for the pre-order AFAIK).

This much-loved critically acclaimed controversial drama is being released at the end of the month (June 27th).. first time it's been available on either DVD or VHS since it's release 18 years ago.

10427114-1305635616-86602.jpg
    Buy it @ Zavvi
    Release Date: 27 June 2011

Written by acclaimed novelist Roddy Doyle and directed by Michael Winterbottom, Family is a searing television drama that aired on BBC One and RTÉ One in 1994.

Family is a compelling, characteristically no-frills look at life in an Irish suburb, where Charlo Spencer's violent behaviour, infidelities and criminal activities are pushing his wife and children to breaking point. The original transmission was a watershed moment in Irish TV history, leading to an outcry and national debate about domestic violence.

Family centres on the Spencers, a family living in a Dublin housing project. Charlo, played by Seán McGinley, is the abusive and cheating husband of Paula, played by Ger Ryan. They have four children: teenagers John Paul and Nicola, and younger children Leanne and Jack.

Told over four episodes, each one devoted to a different family member, this series gives an often harrowing picture of Irish working class life in the 1990s. The first episode focuses on Charlo; the abusive, alcoholic father and husband who makes his living as a small-time crook. Episode two takes up the story of rebellious teenager, John Paul, just as he’s starting secondary school.

The third instalment tells the story from the perspective of Nicola, who works in a clothing factory and has a particularly strained relationship with her father. In the fourth and final part we meet the emotionally and physically battered matriarch, Paula, who reclaims her identity by throwing Charlo out of the house and getting a job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cool must pick it up, there was a good few threads on here with people looking to get their hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Super spot Basq,remember being glued to this when I was in secondary school. Ordered! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Got my copy today :), didnt even know it was for sale until i saw it on the shelf today in Tesco!!
    Can't wait to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Still the same price at Zavvi..

.. how much were Tesco selling it for STIG?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Anyone know how much it is in Tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I'd love to see a follow up to this. Not a filmed version of The Woman Who Walked Into Doors, a genuine follow up, maybe told through Nicola,

Seventeen years on, is she married with kids, did she make the same mistakes as her mother, I'd imagine John Paul to be a Heroin death or in prison, Charlo shacked up with some brasser sort & Paula doing the best she can

Dear Roddy Doyle,

I've had an idea I'd like to pitch you since the two follow ups to A Star Called Henry were crap...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

"Chips don't bounce"

Sorry, had to say it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just stuck the 1st disc on , it's just as good as I remembered!!!!!

Lmao Ray from fair city is in it, god he changed :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just ordered it now, saw it 10 years ago and I can't wait to see it again.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Anyone know how much it is in Tesco?

€15.99
    Sorry its €16.95. Could have sworn it was €15.99 the last day I saw it but could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I gotsta get me some of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Definitely going to buy it , thanks ;)

What Tesco did you buy it in ??

I got mine in Tesco Clearwater Finglas for 16.95 , cant wait to watch it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Anyone know if Tesco is still selling family ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Under €13 on Zavvi now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

finally available. thanks basq

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Advertisement