Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish get lonely and die?

Options
  • 09-06-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

warning: you all sound really smart fish-wise and I am about to sound like a tool!

Ok so I had 2 goldfish and one died last week. I heard somewhere that fish get lonely and die if there's only one of them and I've been crying all week over the death of my fish so I can't imagine what the other little guy is going through! (I did warn you I'd sound stupid!) I only have room for a 20l tank so my question is should I let my remaining fish enjoy more room by not getting another one or should I get another one to keep him company? I know it's mean to have 2 in such a small tank but I really cant fit a bigger one. He seems grand now but I really cant handle another one dying! Sorry again for sounding like a complete idiot!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Yeah, eh, I know it sounds nutty but goldfish are companion fish, they like having others around them. However they mope for a while and then move on.

But with a 20l, I would definitely not get another fish. I'd say he'd appreciate the space more than the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Yeah I'll keep him loads of company he'll be grand! He seemed so sad the last few days so hopefully he'll come out of mourning soon enough lol! I'll leave him be so. I was hoping someone would say he would be ok on his own because I really don't want to replace the other one, it'd feel like such a betrayal! I know I'm waaay too soft, I'll shut up now! Thanks so much :)

You're talking to someone who bawled crying for three days after one of theirs died.....

If you tried to get a bigger tank, say a 110l ( you'd be amazed where you can fit them in ) you could get him a friend maybe, depending on what breed of goldfish he is.

:o Makes me feel so much better!

Yeah I probably will but I'll leave it for a while! Don't wanna plonk another fish in while he's still sad. And try to figure out where to put the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Jaysus I didn't know fish get lonely,I've had one goldfish in a bowl for nearly 4 years,but I'm feeling guilty now!Should I get him a companion?

He's the hardiest fish I've ever had!I was changing his water once and transfered him into a smaller bowl and someone called at the door,when I got back in the kitchen the smaller bowl I had put him in was empty and he was lying lifeless on the kitchen floor,thought he was dead but I put him back in the bowl just to make sure,and he was grand,started swimming like nothing had happenned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've had a single goldfish in my pond for the last 10 years, he seems to be perfectly happy, and definitely isn't dead, in fact he seems to be thriving.

Jaysus I didn't know fish get lonely,I've had one goldfish in a bowl for nearly 4 years,but I'm feeling guilty now!Should I get him a companion?

He's the hardiest fish I've ever had!I was changing his water once and transfered him into a smaller bowl and someone called at the door,when I got back in the kitchen the smaller bowl I had put him in was empty and he was lying lifeless on the kitchen floor,thought he was dead but I put him back in the bowl just to make sure,and he was grand,started swimming like nothing had happenned!

I know of a goldfish that jumped out of his tank and on to a radiator, where he lay for 24 hours. When the owners picked up up, they saw him move and put him back into the tank, where he was grand a few days later. :eek:

My dad had two goldfish, one died in a sudden accident, the other moped for a few days but 7 years later there's not a bother on him.

They like to have a group around them, but it's not necessary for their survival or anything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Nobody should feel silly for being upset at the loss of a pet, no matter what type!

One of my goldfish died last week and I cried for hours. :(
    I have a 60L tank, and my other fish is about 3 inches long, should she have the tank to herself for a while do you think?
    She doesn't seem too cut up about the loss of her companion to be honest, I think I was a lot more upset!!

Posy wrote: »
    Nobody should feel silly for being upset at the loss of a pet, no matter what type!

One of my goldfish died last week and I cried for hours. :(
    I have a 60L tank, and my other fish is about 3 inches long, should she have the tank to herself for a while do you think?
    She doesn't seem too cut up about the loss of her companion to be honest, I think I was a lot more upset!!

Spacewise I'd say leave her on her own, however they do like a friend but you'd be looking at at least 120L for that.

Kind of a common myth about goldfish is they stay small and only live a few years - they're actually huge fish (what you see in the shops are babies) but they need a suitable environment to grow in, otherwise it stunts them and shortens their lifespan.

Mine is being moved into his 2nd home now, he outgrew his 110L tank in under a year :(

Update: Should've gotten him a new friend, found him floating this morning :(

Never getting another fish again, can't handle this dying craic atal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I feel your pain. I arranged for a neighbour to feed my fish while I was away for a week and arrived home to them both floating. Massive overfeeding is suspected.

I'm debating whether or not to get more fish. It'd be a shame for the tank to go to waste, unless there's anything else I can think of to do with it.

Taylor21 wrote: »
    Update: Should've gotten him a new friend, found him floating this morning :(

Never getting another fish again, can't handle this dying craic atal!

Aw no, sorry to hear that :(

I doubt it was the loneliness though, could be anything really, a lot of goldfish these days are not as hardy as the older ones.

If you have a 20L tank, what about getting a wee heater for it and keeping cherry shrimp?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Just got another lot of goldfish for my pond. I was watching carefully to see if there'd be any animosity from the fish that are already there but not a bother..they swam around each other for a while but now they all seem to be getting along very well and seem to be much happier now they have a few more friends.

Advertisement