Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoax Email

Options
  • 09-06-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Just recieved an email from a so called barrister in the UK. Saying they have found a lost relative who has left lots of money, they died tragically in a car accident. They even sent me a death cert. They claim to be reconised by Legal 500 in the UK. Its a really convincing email!!!! What can I do about this hoax email to warn other people?. There is even an official website.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You can always check with the UK Bar Council to see if they are real.

http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Doesn't it feel like its too good to be true?

I'm sure they would you use an appropriate medium to contact you if it was a long lost relative. Aren't they more likely to have a contact address/telephone than your email address?

Its a thinker.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cb7 wrote: »
    What can I do about this hoax email to warn other people?

There's about a billion different hoax emails going around, this is just one of them. They all take the same sort of line though; promise of money from some rich person that has died, and all you need to do is pay some legal fees. Ignore it, and move on. Or, better yet, reply, and have some fun with them.
    There is even an official website.

Anyone can make a website, and say pretty much anything they want. Doesn't make it any less of a scam or joke. Example.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Security

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cb7

Yes I think its amazing that they have an official website. And even sent a death cert to me!!! They are also claiming to be recognised by Legal 500 and chambers and partners. Is there no way of warning other people as it is very convincing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Yes I think its amazing that they have an official website. And even sent a death cert to me!!! They are also claiming to be recognised by Legal 500 and chambers and partners. Is there no way of warning other people as it is very convincing.

Simple just remind people

You get nought for nought

and if they don't listen **** em

Advertisement