Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Foreign Publisher..contract?

Options
  • 09-06-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hi All!

It was as i was looking for a publishing company and even a literary agent that i came across SBPRA, a publishondemandglobal.com company.

I sent in my lovely manuscript and received some nice feedback within a short amount of time. They have now offered a contract, but i am sceptical.
    They have given me two options to publish but i am very wary since i have heard of publishing scams in the United States and this is where this company are based.

If you are well versed in contracts and the like,i may be inclined to mail you a version with the two options i have just to get your take on things.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Hi All!

It was as i was looking for a publishing company and even a literary agent that i came across SBPRA, a publishondemandglobal.com company.

I sent in my lovely manuscript and received some nice feedback within a short amount of time. They have now offered a contract, but i am sceptical.
    They have given me two options to publish but i am very wary since i have heard of publishing scams in the United States and this is where this company are based.

If you are well versed in contracts and the like,i may be inclined to mail you a version with the two options i have just to get your take on things.

Thanks.

Howdy,

There's no reason to suspect they are dodgy in that they will likely do what they say they will do. However, I've not researched them.

The nice feedback, however, is irrelevant. If you sent in the alphabet they'd agree to "publish" it. Publish on Demand would mean you buy what they produce and you market it. OR you purchase what they say they can sell (with no come back for non-sales) and effectively they most likely would do no marketing (why would they).

It's useful to get x number of copies for yourself and your family. You could also look into createspace.

Btw, there's nothing stopping you from posting the excerpts of the contract you are unsure of or even the full thing. I've experience of contracts, but would prefer you to post what you are unsure of rather than the full contract.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Hi All!

Thanks.

What two options have they offered you?

If they are asking you for even a CENT of money in any way, shape or form, then RUN and don't stop running.

Otherwise, congratulations and best of luck.

P.S. Just having a GLANCE of their website suggests that they are not the genuine thing. I would think long and hard before signing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Okay,

I'm sorry to say but my gut was right:

From Preditors and Editors:

http://pred-ed.com/pebp.htm
    Publish On Demand Global: Strongly not recommended. Another Robert Fletcher business operating as a publisher. Robert Fletcher is being sued by the Florida State Attorney General.

It's a scam. Sorry.

More reading about this 'nice,' person.

http://howpublishingreallyworks.blogspot.com/2009/08/robert-fletcher-of-writers-literary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

They want to you to pre-sell 100 books? That's a lot, the average self-published book only sells 50, and that's after it has been printed and can be physically handed over.

I clicked on the first book they are advertising "A knot in your stomach" and the book description finishes "Being bullied by the children in her school, Mr Ryan the science teacher, helps the girls come up with a plan to stop it." That isn't a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Thanks to all who have advised.

After working so long and hard on a piece of fiction and for it to be used in some sort of scam is no less than disheartening. I did manage to retain my natural scepticism about the whole affair and rightly so judging by the posts. Ive read about the Robert Fletcher affair and court cases and it is shocking that i nearly fell into that trap.

Being offered something though is every writers dream but the two options of a contract did involve me parting with monies, 150 and 950 dollars, something im not really prepared to do.

My next move is do what i was going to do first until i googled publishers, send out my manuscript to agents and reputable publishers.

Thanks again to all who replied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement