Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Home - How much can we expect to pay

Options
  • 09-06-2011 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Myself and my OH are hoping to start building a house soon. We have a site and are currently renting a house, but we need to move out so that we can save our money for our mortgage deposit. We are hoping to buy a mobile home to put on the site and live in that for the forseeable future until we can save money and get started.

How much do you think we should expect to pay for a mobile home? And have you any tips on what we should be looking out for when we go looking? I'm not going to lie, I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm even looking for :o My experience of mobile homes/campervans is limited to a six week stint in a Hi-ace in Oz!

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Haven't the fogiest but you get people doing the same as you all the time and the give them away at the end so you could get lucky. Think about moving costs as well.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/freebies_1058_1.html

http://www.gumtree.ie/p/for-sale/free-mobile-home-to-take-away/81341414

http://www.gumtree.ie/p/for-sale/mobile-home/80072723

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Hi All,

Myself and my OH are hoping to start building a house soon. We have a site and are currently renting a house, but we need to move out so that we can save our money for our mortgage deposit. We are hoping to buy a mobile home to put on the site and live in that for the forseeable future until we can save money and get started.

How much do you think we should expect to pay for a mobile home? And have you any tips on what we should be looking out for when we go looking? I'm not going to lie, I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm even looking for :o My experience of mobile homes/campervans is limited to a six week stint in a Hi-ace in Oz!

Thanks so much!

Collcection and delivery will probably be the main cost. Make sure the chassis is solid before agreeing to take one, a lot of the free ones are free because others have refused to lift them, I've seen two fold in half when being lifted. You'll still have to pay the truck driver if that happens. If you'll be in it for a while (double the time you think you'll be in it is a good estimate) its probably worth paying more for one that someone has put has proper shower, heating, decent cooker etc into.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

And if you cant get one with proper central heating radiators run of a proper burner be prepared to add the expence of puting them in after,cause you will need to...you can later use the rads and burner and oil tank for your build whwn the time comes,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

paddyp wrote: »
    Collcection and delivery will probably be the main cost. Make sure the chassis is solid before agreeing to take one, a lot of the free ones are free because others have refused to lift them, I've seen two fold in half when being lifted. You'll still have to pay the truck driver if that happens. If you'll be in it for a while (double the time you think you'll be in it is a good estimate) its probably worth paying more for one that someone has put has proper shower, heating, decent cooker etc into.

Yeah, I'd heard about the chassis before, OH will be taking a good look at it before we buy anything! We'll probably be in it for at least a year, I'm thinking 2 in my head so that I won't be disappointed if we are in it for longer! I was looking at Nomadic in the north on the web - we are going to go and have a look up there on Sat so that we can get an idea of what they are like. They seem to be ranging from £1500 to £10000!

Advertisement