Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zylkene

Options
  • 09-06-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

http://www.zylkene.co.uk/

Anyone here tried it for their cat, dog or horse?
    Considering getting some for the cat, (currently has some sort of urinary problem most likely due to stress or at least not helped by stress), and I'm considering trying either zylkene and/or feliway. Asked about it at the vets and they'd never heard of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yep we tried it last year when we started out with crate rest and tbh it didn't seem to do anything! Our vet gave us some samples and said that it depends on the animal so if they're highly strung it seemed to work better but as our guy is generally chilled out it probably wouldn't. I got a feliway for our cat one time and he spent the whole day sitting beside where it was plugged in snoozing lol so that's what I'd try! Another thing that might help is valerian root - it smells like stinky cheese but they love it - you can get cushions with it inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

We use this regularly and have had fantastic results with it.
    We mainly use it if we have people coming to stay in the house. We have one boy who is very nervous and hides as soon as the bell rings. If we had people over they would literally never see him! We put him on a course of it and it chilled him out to the point where he will look for pets from strangers.
    Personally I never found feliway worked in my house. Rescue remedy in the water is good too.
    I think it's certainly worth trying. I just put a pinch of it on food twice a day for a month and then took a break to see if there is a change of behaiviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

tk123 wrote: »
    Another thing that might help is valerian root - it smells like stinky cheese but they love it - you can get cushions with it inside.

Will look into this, where can you get it as Iv never heard of it before? Luckily my sense of smell is rather poor! :D
    We use this regularly and have had fantastic results with it.
    We mainly use it if we have people coming to stay in the house. We have one boy who is very nervous and hides as soon as the bell rings. If we had people over they would literally never see him! We put him on a course of it and it chilled him out to the point where he will look for pets from strangers.
    Personally I never found feliway worked in my house. Rescue remedy in the water is good too.
    I think it's certainly worth trying. I just put a pinch of it on food twice a day for a month and then took a break to see if there is a change of behaiviour.

That sounds like my missus, every time the doorbell rings she seems to think the world is coming to an end, very few people actually get to see her in the flesh as she usually hides under a bed when we have visitors! :rolleyes:

I guess different things work for different cats and I won't know til I try it. Bloody expensive cat! :rolleyes:

Just one quick question before I order it. Do cats actually genuinely like the taste of it? I have one very fussy cat and I'm still not sure how I'l get her to eat it but if it tastes like milk (as the website says) it might make it a little easier but even in saying that I'm still not sure. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Will look into this, where can you get it as Iv never heard of it before? Luckily my sense of smell is rather poor! :D

This is the valerian root cushion we had. Very stinky thou:pac:

• Advertisement

Just one quick question before I order it. Do cats actually genuinely like the taste of it? I have one very fussy cat and I'm still not sure how I'l get her to eat it but if it tastes like milk (as the website says) it might make it a little easier but even in saying that I'm still not sure. :rolleyes:

I have nine cats and none of them has ever refused their food with some Zylkene in it.

Thanks guys, have ordered both zylkene and feliway diffuser. Hopefully they work! :rolleyes: Next time I'm getting stuff off zooplus I'l add in the valerian cushion, some good reviews about it on there!

Arrived this morning. Feliway is plugged in. Normally I leave a small amount of milk in my cereal bowl in the morning and she drinks this so I dissolved the zylkene in this, but she sniffed it and walked away, I think this is going to be difficult. :(

Success! :D Went for a shower, came back and every drop of the milk (& zylkene) licked clean! Now just to wait for the miracle transformation to happen! :D

Brilliant! I hope you have success with it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Thanks guys, have ordered both zylkene and feliway diffuser. Hopefully they work! :rolleyes: Next time I'm getting stuff off zooplus I'l add in the valerian cushion, some good reviews about it on there!

hi,

I am trying to source Zylkene but cannot find a shop that would deliver it to Ireland. could I ask where you ordered it from? and is it working?
    many thanks
    sf

scaryfairy wrote: »
    hi,

I am trying to source Zylkene but cannot find a shop that would deliver it to Ireland. could I ask where you ordered it from? and is it working?
    many thanks
    sf

I ordered it off here http://www.vetuk.co.uk/behavioural-training-aids-zylkene-tablets-c-198_427/zylkene-100-x-75mg-tablets-p-2094

I started the zylkene the same day I plugged in the feliway diffuser and I do think something is definitely working. For example when something is put through the letterbox she no longer runs and hides under my bed, and when the neighbours next door were having something done involving loud machinery she wasn't bothered at all with the noise or the moving shed! So I do think something, either the zylkene or the feliway, is making a difference.

It's worth a try anyways even though 100 tablets is a lot to buy if they don't have any effect on her. Have you tried contacting a few vets to see do they stock it and how much they'd sell a months supply for? I asked the receptionist in my vets but she hadn't heard of it but the feliway on this site was cheaper than my vets so I was buying it off there anyways so the actual vet may have heard of it but I didn't bother asking.

What sort of problems are you having? Presume it's a cat you have is it or is it a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

What sort of problems are you having? Presume it's a cat you have is it or is it a dog?

ah thanks will try to order from them. It's a cat, or more like 2 cats. We introduced a kitten (now about 9 months old) 2 months ago to our resident cat. They were doing great for a long time, actually up till about 10 days ago, when the older cat started - sorry I know it's over interpreting etc - to sort of lose confidence and has become withdrawn. He has always been quite nerveous but usually very relaxed around us.
    I am all over him, grooming him, talking etc, and he responds but it takes a bit of convincing with that sad look on his face... I already have feliway plugged in (there was a bit of an issue of him trying to mount the kitten.. he used to do it to another male, too.. they have all been "desexed") but I want him to be cheerful and relaxed again. So hence trying to look for additional remedies..
    thanks again
    sf

Advertisement