Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krautrock and other weird German electronic music...

Options
  • 08-06-2011 11:50pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Just when I thought we'd had a thread for pretty much every electronic genre, I remember this whilst replying to the Tangerine Dream thread :pac:

There seems to be sh1t loads of this stuff from the 70s and early 80s. I got a great compilation a while back called 'Deutsche Elektronische Musik' which is just full of brilliant tracks from the more well known such as Can, Harmonia, Neu! & Faust to other lesser known artists. It comes with a great booklet (that I've yet to finish reading) that covers all the origins of the music and associated history in terms of the different artists. I've also picked up various albums along the way from the likes of Can, Neu! etc, most of the more known albums again but would like to delve further.

Some good websites about covering the history of Krautrock...

http://www.krautrock.com/articles.html

Anyway in typical fashion, here are some embedded youtube videos!

This first is from a huge favourite of mine, stunning album by Klaus Schulze called 'Timewind'... its up on YT in various parts due to its length.

Klaus Schulze - Timewind

Michael Bundt - La Chasse Aux Microbes

Harmonia - Watussi

Neu! - Hero

Popol Vuh - Aguirre 1 & 2 (Aguirre)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

cue old gregg in 5,4,3........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

cue old gregg in 5,4,3........

Bloody hippes. They're always late...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭francois

Big fan of Kraut rock, have a lot of it, though some of it canbecome a bit noodly.
    Best book on it is Julian Cope's Krautrock sampler. You can d/load a pdf of it here-I'd recommend it

http://blog.swanfungus.com/2006/10/krautrocksampler.html

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

i didnt know anything of krautrock until i watched the bbc documentary which was aired awhile back called oddly enough krautrock (i think).

I found it both interesting and entertaining, i especially liked the guy who was fúcking about with a cement mixer and a yard brush, while another guy recorded the resulting noise - my kinda party

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

yea all very funny making fun of the poor defenseless (young) hippie :p
    I do love the old Berlin School cosmiche music though.
    Sadly, am getting ready to fly off to inflict my Berlin field recordings and spacey ambient on the poor people of Provence at the Ambiosonic festival so will be hoping this thread is still alive in 12 days when I get back from doing the rock star caper :)

but ..... I have a feeling the thread may allow me to sneak in a bit of Rammstein if I sandwich it between Tangerine Dream and Ash Ra Tempel ... maybe later when I've finished packing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Popol Vuh are rather excellent. They did a lot of the soundtracks for Herzog films in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

and now Ash Ra Tempel

pretty spacey at this stage of their work together.

simple quizz question ..... Manuel Göttsching of Asha Ra Tempel came up recently around here in connection with a hugely influential bit of pre techno techno.
    Winner gets a brand new Nissan Micra to be supplied by the person to post next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

old gregg wrote: »
    and now Ash Ra Tempel

pretty spacey at this stage of their work together.

simple quizz question ..... Manuel Göttsching of Asha Ra Tempel came up recently around here in connection with a hugely influential bit of pre techno techno.
    Winner gets a brand new Nissan Micra to be supplied by the person to post next.

Because of this outstanding piece:

That's my music for the drive home tomorrow sorted...

Good luck with the festival(s) old gregg my son...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

i like krautrock, only came across it about 3 years ago really after hearing the below track at the end of an industrial techno mix, went looking for it and came across all the other krautrock bands in the process, its the sort of stuff id listen to when not listening to techno (which is quite rare tbh). I could listen to the below track on repeat all night

that krautrock doc is on youtube, well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i didnt know anything of krautrock until i watched the bbc documentary which was aired awhile back called oddly enough krautrock (i think).

I found it both interesting and entertaining, i especially liked the guy who was fúcking about with a cement mixer and a yard brush, while another guy recorded the resulting noise - my kinda party

I saw that documentary just as i was getting into krautrock, great stuff.

Loving that klaus schulze track in the OP btw, never heard it before.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I must mention Emeralds again for those into this stuff... never hear much mention of these guys, I did see they were to play a gig in Whelans recently but I think it was cancelled. Anyway the album 'Does It Look Like I'm Here?' from last year is great... definite modern day Schulze etc.

http://www.discogs.com/Emeralds-Does-It-Look-Like-Im-Here/release/2245894

Emeralds - Candy Shoppe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1qs2OAuPE

Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHfFZYK81lA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

A very good German band from that era is Eloy.

Advertisement