Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eagles Crag, Glencree, Co. Wicklow...

Options
  • 08-06-2011 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing a bit of a hike this weekend from Tallaght up through Kilakee, Military Road, and across the feather beds to Glencree and then hiking up Eagles Crag there between Lough Bray Upper and Lough Bray Lower...

Just wondering has anyone ever camped for a night up on the summit of Eagles Crag, I've been up there loads of times but never camped, I'm a bit of a Bear Gryles mountaineer, not into gas stoves or any of that auld milarky although if I have to go down that road for cooking I suppose I will, no forests up near the summit, no firewood?!?

Any suggestions?!?

EDIT: meant to add:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=983459

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think it would be reasonable to camp up there, back a bit from the edge amongst the old cutting to get some protection from the wind.

Firewood wise there'll be nothing up there. If you want to be a bit more ambitious and hike over/around Kippure toward the western Sallygap road there are some nice spots along it where it crosses the river.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.154831,-6.343431&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=13&sll=53.165916,-6.309242&sspn=0.025831,0.262814&ie=UTF8&ll=53.16005,-6.309929&spn=0.025834,0.262814&z=13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

If you're just going for the one night, then just pop some precooked food in a food flask or take dry food. On an exposed summit, you won't get a nice cooking fire going, even if you haul up your own fuel, unless you luck out and get the one windless night Wicklow's seen in ten years. If you're dead set on cooking up there, but don't want to buy a gas stove, you can pick up a €5 hexi stove in any of the low end camping or army surplus stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It's quiet marshy in spots up there, especially with all this rain. Some early mornings there is paragliders taking off from the edge whic is cool.

No wood and I wouldn't suggest a fire due to the exposure at the top. You could camp down beside the rocks on the eagles crag but not enough room for a tent. Bivi away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I was going to go at this yesterday but as I lie here in bed listening to the rain steadily pouring down all morning, I'm glad now that I didn't, as the last poster said, it can be fairly marshy up there in this weather.

I'm thinking of doing with new Dublin Mountain Way thing now, the Shankhill-Tallaght walk over the Dublin mountains...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Donny5 wrote: »
    If you're dead set on cooking up there, but don't want to buy a gas stove, you can pick up a €5 hexi stove in any of the low end camping or army surplus stores.

I was thinking of buying a bag of BBQ charcoal and using this as fuel in the absence of available firewood, I like the fire thing, I've used the hexi stove before but it just doesn't do anything for me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement