Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working as a meterologist?

Options
  • 08-06-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Yo,
    I noticed the other morning that there was a German guy giving the weather forecast on RTE and it got me thinking? What's it like to work as a meteorologist? Are the job prospects good or is it very difficult to get into? (ie. Does Met eireann only take the top of the class students?) What kind of salary would one start off on?

I did a meteorology course in 1st year Geography many moons ago and always wondered what it'd be like to work in full time? Can one go back as a mature student? Where do you go to study it? and do you have to have done a science degree first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

BillieBob wrote: »
    Yo,
    I noticed the other morning that there was a German guy giving the weather forecast on RTE and it got me thinking? What's it like to work as a meteorologist? Are the job prospects good or is it very difficult to get into? (ie. Does Met eireann only take the top of the class students?) What kind of salary would one start off on?

I did a meteorology course in 1st year Geography many moons ago and always wondered what it'd be like to work in full time? Can one go back as a mature student? Where do you go to study it? and do you have to have done a science degree first?
    UCD M.Sc. in Meteorology

But to tell you the truth, theses days you'd probably need a PhD, and there is no recruitment for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

BillieBob wrote: »
    Yo,
    I noticed the other morning that there was a German guy giving the weather forecast on RTE and it got me thinking?

I thought he was Dutch ?

Advertisement