Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it like to have crowns?

Options
  • 08-06-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

So my new nice dental guy is on holidays at the mo and I am waiting to go back to get crowns but in the mean time I have freaked myself out!

Meant to be getting six top front teeth but all my internet research has scared me, now I keep having dreams about biting into things and some of them falling out and I am now having second thoughts thinking 'do I really need them' or should I keep getting composite (white) fillings in my front teeth (3 are root canal)?

I would not mind at all of it was my back teeth but I keep thinking 'oh god fake front teeth' 'what if one comes out and you can see the shaved down real tooth underneath' I am going to talk to my them again when he comes back off hols but for now does anyone have any crowns on their front teeth do you like them, do they feel weird, are your real teeth ok underneath? eekkkk help?!
    :eek::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Speak to your dentist again, there is no reason why good crowns should not last a long time (10 years ++). However maintenance, as with your own teeth will always be required.
    This forum cannot give you anything more than general answers. If you are really concerned and not sure about going ahead consider getting a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Done well- there should be no problem long term- they shouldn't fall out etc...
    Talk to your dentist again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Have 2 front crowns 22 years- zero issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Whats its like having filling your teeth? Crowns are the most durable restorations for a badly damaged tooth, as with everything it depends on how good the crowns are made and fitted as not all crowns are the same.

If crowns broke all the time dentists would just stick to the fillings, obviously you cannot go mental and start eating rocks, anything that would break a natural tooth could damage a crown, but at the moment a good crowns is as good as its get to repair damaged teeth.

Advertisement