Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial electrical charges and possibility of reducing MIC / tariff?

Options
  • 08-06-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon,

We have a 600sqm building what was use by the previous occupiers for training (full industrial canteen) and light manufacturing.
    It has a 3 phase supply and according to the bills a MIC of 32KVA and is group DG5. (3 meters: 2 energy + 1 wattless)

It is now only used a couple of days a week and will be for the foreseeable future (several years). The current usage mainly consisting of fluorescent ceiling lights, 2-3 computers, audio equipment and the electric kettle. The canteen etc has been stripped out and there is no longer any 3 phase equipment in use.

I don't have the bills to hand, but they are about €260-300 in a normal two month period and I think reached just over €500 during the depths of this winter, when a couple of 2kw electric heaters were used after the gas boilers gave trouble.

As you can see, we only use a fraction of the building's MIC and because we have a MIC of more than 29KVA are paying high charges/levies. The following page is titled "Increase or Decrease your Supply", but appart from the pdf form only discussed how to increase it!

So, what is involved in decreasing your MIC, and how do we go about it?
    Is it just a matter of changing it in the ESB's accounting systems or does someone from the ESB need to come out and change the main fuses to a lower value etc?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Tow,

The best thing is to fill out the NC3 form as soon as possible. Just make sure the 'Reduced' box is ticked at the top (and in section 2 tick 'Reduction in MIC'). In section 8 you are given the chance to state your desired MIC.
    Tow wrote:
    So, what is involved in decreasing your MIC, and how do we go about it?
    Is it just a matter of changing it in the ESB's accounting systems or does someone from the ESB need to come out and change the main fuses to a lower value etc?

That depends - sometimes it can be just paperwork, but sometimes physical work will be required. ESB Networks will have to decide on this.

From what you have said above, I would definitely recommend you seek a reduction. I would also recommend you consult with your electrician as you fill out the form, to ensure you have all bases covered (i.e. load details in section 7).

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement