Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jog For Jockeys 5km - 5 Racecourses (simultaneously) - 1 Jog

Options
  • 08-06-2011 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Is a 5km jog/run/walk for anyone willing to participate in a fun day out while supporting a worthy cause for the Injured Jockeys Funds.

The run will take place on Sunday 21st August, 2011 at 12 noon at five different racecourses around Ireland enabling you to choose a venue near you!
    - Cork
    - Down Royal
    - Galway
    - Leopardstown
    - Naas

Race Time:
    12 noon on all racecourses

The entry fee is €25 which includes t-shirt, time chip, goody bag and lots more....
    click here to Enter online: www.jogforjockeys.ie/register.htm

- Bring along the Kids for FREE

If you don't want to jog/run/walk but would like to help, there are other ways to help, click here for more details on other ways you can help...

There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd Male & Female on each course.

For some tips on preparing for the event:
    click here for: "The 5km Beginners Run Program"

jogforjockeyslogo_370x283.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Newbie question alert. I'm looking for my first 5k about that time but have been training on roads. When you say on the course do you mean on the grass? Not sure that would be ideal for me but as a couch to 5k trainer may well be off the mark. Would welcome any advice. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jogforjockeys

Hi Sorbet,

It depends on the venue. Cork & Down Royal are road races.
    But the others depend on the weather. If it is wet then they will use the ambulance roads at the track.
    Be sure to check out our Beginners Guide at:
    http://www.jogforjockeys.ie/bodysmart_running_tips.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Simmo39

I'm just wondering the upcoming race on the 21st Aug in the Naas race course has anyone run on this race course before and is it run on tarmac or across grass?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I am interested in knowing more about the fundraising side of this.

€25 is a high entry fee for the 5k race. However, if some of the fee is going
    directly to the charity, I can accept it.

If the 25 is only being spent on the organisation and possibly a profit for a professional organiser, I would be reluctant to do this.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

huskerdu wrote: »
    I am interested in knowing more about the fundraising side of this.

€25 is a high entry fee for the 5k race. However, if some of the fee is going
    directly to the charity, I can accept it.

If the 25 is only being spent on the organisation and possibly a profit for a professional organiser, I would be reluctant to do this.

Thanks,
    afaik,talking to some one who helpd out at the start of the organising, all the profits go to the charity,...though i am open to correction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jogforjockeys

Apologies, I thought I had this thread set up to notify me by email when someone posted a reply. which is why i am only getting round to responding now.

Yes all the proceeds go to charity, the Irish Injured Jockeys Funds.
    - The Jockeys Accident Fund (Irish Charity No. CHY3262)
    - The Qualified Riders Accident Fund (Irish Charity No. CHY8618)

The event was run by volunteers. No profiteering. It was all for a good cause.

Galway, Leopardstown & Naas were run on grass
    Cork & Down Royal were run on the roads around the course.

Advertisement