Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning Reel

Options
  • 08-06-2011 2:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hey

I was looking at the Shimano EXAGE 4000 reel this morning in a fishing shop in Dublin. It felt really nice and smooth. Would people recommend this reel or would you choose something else?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

Just to give you more information....I would be looking for an all rounder reel. Something to cover Trout, Salmon, Pike etc

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

you can't go wrong with shimano reels in general. also have a look at a 5000 or 6000 size baitrunner. they will all be ideal for what you need it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

nothing wrong with that exage, the stradic is also a good reel, don't go for a baitrunner unless you need the function, as it makes the reel quite heavy.

You're talking around 50g difference (i.e. an ounce or two) in weight between the Exage and a similar sized baitrunner. The o.p. mentions the possibility of fishing for pike - personally i would like the option of the baitrunner feature for this. I also like the double handle that comes on most baitrunners - gives the reel a nice balance.

As i said before, there's nowt wrong with either reel (baitrunner for me though).

p.s. if you do go for the Exage, just note that there is a front drag and a rear drag model. I would choose the rear drag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

Thanks for the info Guys.....Appreciate it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If you're spinning only I wouldn't bother with a bait runner. I was looking for a spinning reel earlier in the year, the Shimano Exage is a very nice reel. I went for a front drag because its a better form of drag, and the reel is more compact. I splashed out and went with the Rarenium.
    I always had a baitrunner, but if its spinning only its great to go out with a light compact reel.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I splashed out and went with the Rarenium.

I have a Rarenium as well - cracking little spinning reel alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

stevie_b wrote: »
    I have a Rarenium as well - cracking little spinning reel alright

Yeah, it's a pleasure to use. I'm trying to find excuses to go spinning just to use it.

Advertisement