Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Life Support Course

Options
  • 08-06-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows of any companies or organisations who run this course. Preferably in the North West.

Just to give a bit of background on it for anyone not familar with it. It aims to provide how to recoginise heart attack, cardiac arrest, stroke and (i think) choking, and how to treat whilst waiting on further assistance, how to carryout CPR and using an AED machine.

The variation of the course I'm after is aimed for those working or who have a background in Health Care.

Have tried the Irish Heart Foundation (they have none going up any where near me), Skillshop, and am awaiting a reponce from the VEC.

Thanks in advance.

Apolagies Mods if not quite the place for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

O/P see here for current PHECC institutes offering training. There are some in your area.

http://www.phecit.ie/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1286

Mod note: No advertising please folks, Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Viking76

Hi,
    *SNIP* run the 'BLS for Healthcare Providers'. Very professional guys. I'd say they'll sort it out for you :)
    *SNIP*

Tommy

No advertising!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

irish-stew wrote: »
    The variation of the course I'm after is aimed for those working or who have a background in Health Care.

Have tried the Irish Heart Foundation (they have none going up any where near me), Skillshop, and am awaiting a reponce from the VEC.

Thanks in advance.

Apolagies Mods if not quite the place for this.

If your after the IHF BLS for Healthcare Providers course, which includes some more advanced skills including Pulse Checks and Bag-Valve mask use then try your local hospital. The IHF rarely run classes directly, but most hospitals utilise their courses for their staff. Some hospitals allow the public to participate on payment of a fee.

Off the cuff Sligo General, Mullingar, Letterkenny General, Longford (did), Cavan all utilise the IHF guidelines. I do know some of them certainly allow outsiders in. Ring the hospital and ask to speak to the "Resuscitation Department" or "Resuscitation Officer".

If you are happy with the PHECC course, or are not working in a hospital or ambulance service, then the lay rescuer Cardiac First Response - Responder course may be appropriate. Check your voluntary groups, as they offer the same PHECC Accreditation.

Check on the Order of Malta or Red Cross websites for contact details of local units.

Advertisement