Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling Exploited

Options
  • 08-06-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been working part time in a shop where there is a management team of two, part time staff and one full timer.

Before my exams the full timer was fired for a number of legit reasons. I was told by the manager that I would be given a full time contract after my exams. My exams are over now and I was told there is only a small chance I will get the the full time contract which includes extra pay for responsibility etc. I am currently working 25-35 hours plus per week on my part time contract and I perform all of the tasks of a full timer, e.g. cashing up, working by myself, in charge of the other part timers, dealing with brinks and the safe etc and yet I am not paid what a full timer gets.

I don't want to quit until I find another job and that could be a while. However, I feel really exploited and I'd have no doubt that a full timer would be hired in the morning if I quit.

What can I do about this?? I've talked to the manager but it doesn't sound promising.

I worked under the same circumstances before for six months while on a hiatus from college and as soon as I was back in lectures somebody was given a full time contract, despite me being told it wasn't possible for me to be given one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

Angryanon wrote: »
    Hi all,

I don't want to quit until I find another job and that could be a while. However, I feel really exploited and I'd have no doubt that a full timer would be hired in the morning if I quit.

sounds to me like the boss knows that you have no intention of staying long term and will jump at the first opportunity of another job ... if it were me I wouldn't be too quick to offer a full time contract either. You can't have your cake and eat it. By signing a full time contract you should be committing yourself to the job and employer, not just openly passing time for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

whippet wrote: »
    sounds to me like the boss knows that you have no intention of staying long term and will jump at the first opportunity of another job ... if it were me I wouldn't be too quick to offer a full time contract either. You can't have your cake and eat it. By signing a full time contract you should be committing yourself to the job and employer, not just openly passing time for something else.

Well I was offered it two months back but there is no talk about it now. Given the economy right now and the length of some application processes I could well be there for a significant amount of time. There is a high turnover of staff anyway (as found in most retail places) and I contribute twice as much as what the last full timers offered in every aspect of the job.

The bottom line is; if the full timer wasn't fired, he would still be there with all the perks a full timer gets or if I walked in the morning, a full timer would be hired in my place.

I'm doing above and beyond what my part time contract requires me to do. Surely this isn't fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

Angryanon wrote: »

I'm doing above and beyond what my part time contract requires me to do. Surely this isn't fair?

have you pointed this out to your boss?

Advertisement