Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Impounded last night!

Options
  • 08-06-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey,

Ok...so I was in the wrong. I was driving my car last night without tax and NCT and I was pulled over and the car was taken. Fair enough...

I still felt a bit hard done by in that the guard wouldn't allow me just get tax and produce it in the 10 days. Instead he took the car there and then and made me walk the distance home in a tshirt and flip flops (A few miles!) as he "cant carry passengers!"

Apparently now, Ive to go to kilmacanogue to collect my car, pay 135 euros to get it back and also produce a valid tax disc. Otherwise i'll have to tow it out...quickly! as they charge 35 euros a day storage. (Tax out of date by 18 months)

So what i'm asking is...

Instead of paying a fortune in back tax on top of the 135 which will need to be paid in one day (pretty difficult as im in work 9-6pm today) what are my options?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

You dont have many options that I know off.

Either you pay the money due or you let them keep the car in which case it will be scrapped.

Re the guard not giving you grace to produce, legally it should not be on the road in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

realies wrote: »
    You dont have many options that I know off.

Either you pay the money due or you let them keep the car in which case it will be scrapped.

Re the guard not giving you grace to produce, legally it should not be on the road in the first place.

Afraid so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

You felt hard done by ? I feel hard done by ! I have Tax and NCT, so does my wife and all my family and friends. I cant afford it but I have to do it. Its not like your tax was out by a couple of weeks which I can understand but 18 months and no nct, your car should be crushed and you should go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ronaldo9

Many thanks for the quick reply!

I completely agree and it shouldnt have been on the road. It just seems like a very big sum of money to have to pay in one lump surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

ronaldo9 wrote: »

I completely agree and it shouldnt have been on the road. It just seems like a very big sum of money to have to pay in one lump surely?

Well you have learned your lesson the hard way then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sorry but there is really no excuse.
    18 months of no tax is just asking for trouble.
    Also, you can pay motor tax in installments, e.g. every quarter or twice a year.
    You've got caught so I'm afraid you'll have to suck it up and pay the tax you owe, along with the release fee and charges.

I still felt a bit hard done by in that the guard wouldn't allow me just get tax and produce it in the 10 days.

You hadn't got your tax for the last 18 months. Why would the Garda believe you'd get it in the next 10 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If you completely agreed you wouldn't have had it on the road.

Options are to pay the impound charge and have the car towed out, pay the backtax and impound charge and drive it out, sign a disclaimer and let the car be scrapped.

You will also probably recevice a seperate fine for the offence of having no tax and a summons to court for the NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

Hey,

Ok...so I was in the wrong. I was driving my car last night without tax and NCT and I was pulled over and the car was taken. Fair enough...

I still felt a bit hard done by in that the guard wouldn't allow me just get tax and produce it in the 10 days. Instead he took the car there and then and made me walk the distance home in a tshirt and flip flops (A few miles!) as he "cant carry passengers!"

Apparently now, Ive to go to kilmacanogue to collect my car, pay 135 euros to get it back and also produce a valid tax disc. Otherwise i'll have to tow it out...quickly! as they charge 35 euros a day storage. (Tax out of date by 18 months)

So what i'm asking is...

Instead of paying a fortune in back tax on top of the 135 which will need to be paid in one day (pretty difficult as im in work 9-6pm today) what are my options?

Thanks in advance!
    good for him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

OP most Gardai will be a bit leinient up to a few months, but 18 months is pulling the piss a bit.

Gardai aren't insured to carry passengers who aren't meant to be in the car, only members and people being detained and brought to the Garda station are insured. If the member was to get in a crash while dropping you home, then he would be personally responsible for your safety.....Not a responsibility that anyone would want to take on.

Also did you not have a mobile that you could call someone for a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sarah-bear

Hey,

So what i'm asking is...

Thanks in advance!

Just a word of warning - same thing happened to my boyfriend a few weeks ago - tax and NCT out. Went to the compound with tax paid, paid the €135 impound fee, then the Guard said because the car had no NCT he couldn't allow it to be driven off the property, so we had to pay another €60 for it to be towed out of the compound and around the corner!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

^ this happens.

OP - no options if you want the car back.

18 months - no sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

sarah-bear wrote: »
    Just a word of warning - same thing happened to my boyfriend a few weeks ago - tax and NCT out. Went to the compound with tax paid, paid the €135 impound fee, then the Guard said because the car had no NCT he couldn't allow it to be driven off the property, so we had to pay another €60 for it to be towed out of the compound and around the corner!!!
    It is possible, but not certain, that if OP applied for an NCT test and has proof that an appointment had been made, they would allow him to drive it away.
    Not guaranteed in the slightest, but worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sarah-bear

It is possible, but not certain, that if OP applied for an NCT test and has proof that an appointment had been made, they would allow him to drive it away.
    Not guaranteed in the slightest, but worth a shot.

We had this too, as in we booked the NCT prior to picking up the car. I'm sure some guards will be more lenient than others. Lesson learned however, he no longer drives his car without Tax (which was 3 months out) or an NCT! It was an expensive lesson :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I still felt a bit hard done by in that the guard wouldn't allow me just get tax and produce it in the 10 days.

There'd be no incentive for anyone to bother taxing a car if that was the case. Just drive aroudn with no tax for as long as you can until you get caught then stick 3 months on it to show the Gards then repeat.

I assume you are getting a fine or a summons too?

Advertisement