Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hi all

Options
  • 08-06-2011 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

hi there i was adopted from st muras orphanage in fahan co donegal i was born in 1983 and it says on my birth cert the adoption order was on 19-11-84 i have two blood brothers one of which was also adopted i have been to the hse center and have been told feck all they started a search months ago but have stopped replying to my e-mails how can i get informaton on my own i looked on the adoption web site and im none the wiser on what to do thanks in advance (ps the only info i have been told is i have two older brothers dont know there ages)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hey Gavlaw,

Have you got your non identifying information from the HSE ie birth christian name, what hospital you were born in, birth mothers first name, her age at birth etc etc. They should provide you this in writing. If you don't have it, get it. A registered letter to them officially requesting it should do the trick. It can be very useful. I would also suggest getting the number of the social worker in charge of your case and speaking to her weekly getting an update and tell her that you will ring on a weekly basis to see what progress is being done.

If you want to take the search on yourself then read through the traceguides http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055543715

If you want to try and trace your brothers then you can follow the guide to find your birth cert and using your birth surname, check the books for maybe 10 years either side of 1983 for boys born with that surname. Its a matter of getting a copy of their certs and checking the mothers first name matches that of your own. It can certainly be done on your own. Thats just briefly how to go about it. The trace guide go into step by step details.

I have dealt with the HSE and was on their waiting list for years. It was only when I decided to keep hounding them that they even began my search. Best of luck and keep us updated. If you need anything else just shout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

thanks for replying sorry for only getting back to ya would you know the address for sending the letter thanks

Hi Gavlaw

I'm in Dublin myself so I'm not sure which HSE address you would use for st muras so I would suggest giving the aai an email. I've found them very helpful and quick to repond. You basically want to ask them to forward you the address and name of social worker if possible for st muras. You can also attach the email correspondance you've had with the hse in the past. E-mail: info@aai.gov.ie

Hope that helps!

Ps, if your not on the contact preference register, ask them to send you out a form to fill in and you can add that you know you have siblings incase a match might be made that way. You can always add more info or change it at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

hey all just a wee update i got a fonecall yesterday the social worker said shes thought she found my birth mum ans was going to call her today to see if it was her well she foned me today to tell me it was and she wants contact with me i have to go see the social worker next week and write a letter so i have to take back what i originally said about hse doing nothing im shocked:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

Great news - good luck and keep us informed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Ga law that's great news hope things work out for you a similar thing happened with my wife and now her and her mother making up for lost time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Well done gavlaw - best of luck.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ah Thats brilliant news Gavlaw! Best of luck with the meeting and writing the letter! :D

Advertisement