Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving Cert

Options
  • 08-06-2011 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I did my Leaving Cert last June. I passed everything but wasn't happy with my points. I then went and did a PLC but certain things happened and i failed that due to attendance. I found a online Distance course for leaving certs. I feel like this is my best option because i don't wanna return to a secondary school and Vec said i may to qualified.

I think i am motivated to put the effort in that is needed, but my family think different.

Is distant learning course's tough?:confused:

Comments

It is - you have to motivate yourself to work.

Do you think you would be disciplined enough to study every day?

Have you considered alternatives such as a different PLC course?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

Distance learning can be really tough, especially for second-level stuff - there's a lot to be said for going to a particular designated place to learn. That being said, maybe talk to your family about ways you'd show things were going okay - e.g. you'd go to the local library to study every weekday - and what you'd do if you were having difficulties - e.g. talk to your distance learning tutor or talk to a friend who can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

I would be interested to know where there is an online leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

You know there are lots of people who attend leaving certificate preparation years in private colleges. There are people in any number of these colleges who have sat the Leaving Cert two or three times and are going back there again to get the course they want. There are people there who have done degrees in college and were unsatisfied with them and so decided to go back to study for the leaving cert. If you can work hard over the Summer to get the fees together for a private college e.g. Yeats College or Leeson Street or any other one, then it would be much easier for you to succeed. They will guide you all the way and you will be surrounded by people who don't really care that you have done a plc or anything else. There is a mixture of people and age groups in these colleges, so you would fit right in. It's just about putting your head down, giving yourself the best chance with tutors and study rooms and giving yourself the life you really want to have. If you are committed and you really want to do the leaving again then this is a good option.

Another option to consider is an access course to university or college. You apply directly to the university or the I.T. to be accepted onto the access course. They provide an eight month programme in preparation for college. You submit assessments and sit exams and then at the end of it you go into first year of college the next September. Check into them, it may be an option for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Niamh2389

Kilroys College does the distant learning course for leaving certs. I feel like im determent enough to See it through and willing to put my head down and do the work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

Thanks for the info. You come across to me as being very strong and determined. Thats the best way to approach the Leaving Cert.
    When your doing the LC you could use the leaving cert forum here on boards.ie for advice in your subject areas - as well as using your online tutors.
    Best wishes for your study.

ps - a study tip that works is the ' 50 minute hour".

50 minutes of study/ work - no distractions of any kind including toilet, food/drink, other people ( even those in your house), no fags booze or even looking out the window.

Then reward yourself for 10 minutes. If you can do another 50 min hour then do it. if not well then at least you can be satisfied that you have actually studied hard for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Niamh2389

Thank you thats great advice.!! Will be sure to use it. :)

Advertisement