Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find Robertson (square head) screwdriver?

Options
  • 07-06-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hey All,

As the title sugguests, does anyone know where to find one of these? Checked in Homebase and B&Q in Swords but no luck. Need to remove and old gate and they are screwed in with these.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Any electrical wholesalers carry them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Electrical wholesalers or any half decent builders providers will have them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Thanks lads,will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

There are two different sizes they are commonly known as red or green handled red being the larger. You can get the "quick fit" ones for screw guns so it might be as cheap and time saving to look for a pack with a selection of fittings.

I think O'Reilly's is still beside the swiss cottage they would have them, not too sure of other wholesalers around your neck of the woods, it's been a while since I've done work around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Irish Fire wrote: »
    There are two different sizes they are commonly known as red or green handled red being the larger. You can get the "quick fit" ones for screw guns so it might be as cheap and time saving to look for a pack with a selection of fittings.

I think O'Reilly's is still beside the swiss cottage they would have them, not too sure of other wholesalers around your neck of the woods, it's been a while since I've done work around there.

I remember about ten years ago there was a shortage of screws in the country. We all had to but the yellow driver for the smaller screws. Still to this day i occasionally come across the odd one and they're a nightmare to unscrew without the yellow driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

I remember about ten years ago there was a shortage of screws in the country. We all had to but the yellow driver for the smaller screws. Still to this day i occasionally come across the odd one and they're a nightmare to unscrew without the yellow driver.

Haven't seen a yellow driver in years :):)

How about the black one, they're for real men :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

What's a robertson screwdriver?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

aujopimur wrote: »
    What's a robertson screwdriver?
    A screwdriver for a Robertson head screw :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Robertson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Alun wrote: »
    A screwdriver for a Robertson head screw :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Robertson

Thanks, I thought it was something new, I never knew the correct name for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

These are new to me, is there any advantage to them? I've never seen them on sale in any hardware or other place, how do you source them?

dnme wrote: »
    These are new to me, is there any advantage to them? I've never seen them on sale in any hardware or other place, how do you source them?

The screws don't fall off the end of the driver and when screwing in the driver never slips. They're all I use and have done for years. Any electrical or security wholesales will sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

dnme wrote: »

Very popular in Canada & US, they were originally invented in Canada.

The two main advantages seem to be;
    You can't use the wrong size driver for them a smaller driver won't engage with a larger screw, unlike say a philips head.
    The driver / principle is based around a taper, as this wears slightly it just goes further into the screw, so will still engage correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I got one about 2 months ago in McQuillans on Capel Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Anyone know where I could get one of these out West Dublin/North Kildare area?

Save me going into Dublin city centre to get one.

Thanks

Advertisement