Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a jacket!!

Options
  • 07-06-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hey folks! Looking for advice re: buying a completely weatherproof jacket (or as 'completely weatherproof' as is possible). I've got a big NorthFace one but it's very heavy and bulky, so therefore not suitable to all occasions. I need it to be completely water and wind-proof, but still light, or reasonably light anyway. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I love the mac-in-a-sac type, but they mightn't fit your "completely waterproof" requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Prenderb wrote: »
    I love the mac-in-a-sac type, but they mightn't fit your "completely waterproof" requirement?

Would be great if one of them did the job but I suspect they're not very warm? Maybe I'm asking for too much, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Depends on how much you want to spend.

Is this primarily for hiking or just casual use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

A_Fitz wrote: »
    Would be great if one of them did the job but I suspect they're not very warm? Maybe I'm asking for too much, lol

I use a Keela Stashaway lightweight jacket. It's 100% water and wind proof, light enough to run in and pretty cheap. It's breathability could be better, though. It's not warm in the slightest, but I count that as a plus, since I can always add a layer underneath, but I can't remove a jackets lining.

Have a Columbia Titanium. Mahers Sports in Cork seem to have them permanently on display with a sign saying "were 220, now 80". Think they may be much cheaper online, but either way used it for the past year and don't go anywhere without it. Very lightweight and very waterproof with lots of useful features for adjusting hood, velcro bands to change wrist width etc. Not sure how it compares with others though, as it replaced some cheap as chips Aldi effort that was little better than a black bin liner, though not as breathable.

• Advertisement

Depends on how much you want to spend.

Is this primarily for hiking or just casual use?

Casual mainly, but it's kinda vital that I keep myself dry and protected from winds

@ Conor and Donny - cheers guys, will investigate both of those1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

A_Fitz wrote: »

Layers underneath will help with the warm, and the jacket does be ver easy to take off and stash away if it stops raining.

Prenderb wrote: »
    Layers underneath will help with the warm, and the jacket does be ver easy to take off and stash away if it stops raining.

Yeah. Definitely. So many people seem to spend big money on heavy waterproof warm jackets and you see them red faced and sweating around the place, or worse still carrying them and freezing. It's the one item I would leave out altogether, even on winter walks in minus temperatures prefer the windcheater over fleeces and base layers.

Cheers folks - all that info has been great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Does anyone know of a lightweight waterproof jacket which covers your rear end? I'd rather not carry the heavy Berghaus in Summer, but neither do I like walking with a soggy arse after the inevitable shower :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

hmmm wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a lightweight waterproof jacket which covers your rear end? I'd rather not carry the heavy Berghaus in Summer, but neither do I like walking with a soggy arse after the inevitable shower :)

The Keela Stashaway does, anyway. I'm sure most cover the crotch and arsehole, otherwise they wouldn't be much good in our climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Most light weight jackets I've seen tend to be slightly longer at the back than at the front, but they still ride up a bit in my experience.

Personally, I like to have two jackets. A lightweight summer one that I can slip over just a base layer or a very light fleece top, and a heavyweight one that will fit over thicker base layers for winter. I don't like too many layers as I feel too encumbered, so like to keep them to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I got a North Face Hyvent Jacket in Kildare Village recently. Lightweight and waterproof for 70 yoyos

edit: Sorry OP ...just noticed you're in Kerry... the fuel to get to Kildare Village and back would nearly cost you that!

lucylu wrote: »
    Sorry OP ...just noticed your in Kerry... the fuel to get to Kildare Village and back would nearly cost you that!

If he could hold out till September he could get it when we all troop up to see the All Ireland Final.

Advertisement